• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• Topics

• yep, they are not easy to come by.  
    • Main spring cleaning depends upon whose literature you're looking at. For instance Omega has a technical document on recycling mainspring barrels as they call it. They only wiped the mainspring down with a cloth no cleaners Or solvents. They're assuming that it Is a original mainsprings still has the dry somewhat invisible lubricant on its and that's why they just wipe it. At least that's what I'm assuming because there really really clear on no solvents were cleaners. If I'm doing a watch which is typically is a pocket watch and if I'm going to reuse the mainspring because it's an really beautiful nice condition then I just wipe it with a cloth with a solvent because it usually has sticky grease on it.  So I typically never clean mainsprings in the ultrasonic.   If the mainspring is an original blued steel spring Hulk still clean those with a cloth in a solvent but once their clean it put a thin coating of oil and/or grease on them. The Elgin watch company had a interesting document to why mainsprings break and they implied micro fractures due to rust. I tend to think poor manufacturing skills or not understanding things but steel mainsprings definitely do not like rust.
    • I think memory is less important than understanding. If you understand what the part does, then you should be able to figure out where it goes. Having said that, taking notes and pictures will help, both with the understanding, as you learn, and with those situations where it is less than obvious what goes where.  I recently took apart a Sekonda with date complication. I've taken apart and re-assembled several of these recently, and every time I do so, I can't for the life of me remember which way round one of the springs goes. I'm not sure what this proves, maybe Its an age thing, or maybe, and more likely, its because I don't actually remember every part of every movement, but actually figure most of it out based on experience. As it happens I also have pictures of that particular movement, and there are others on line, so the issue doesn't cause me any grief. If you have any doubt about a particular assembly or disassembly step. Stop and think.You will save yourself a lot of time in the long run, if you take the time to think. If you can't figure it out, ask. There are no daft questions, but there are many  people too daft to ask questions.
    • It probably would be beneficial to get the heated one, I guess I could find other uses for it, not just cleaning watch movements. I’m somewhat concerned about the size 0.8 litre. Definitely plenty for watch parts but I am not sure how mainsprings are placed into the baskets. Looking at the baskets for the proper watch cleaning machines they are 64mm in diameter so I’m guessing I shouldn’t have any problems with the smaller beakers that fit into the smallest S10H which are 81mm in diameter. A basket intended for a watch cleaning machine (Elma) would fit. I watch many videos on YouTube and now and again I see watchmakers inserting watch parts into the baskets but I have never seen one with a mainspring hence I have no idea how I’d do it myself. I am guessing mainsprings go into watch cleaning machines? Would I be regreting it later for some reason not getting a larger ultrasonic bath?
    • gasoline has no place for watch cleaning.  it can be used for paint thinner with enamel,   it can be used as a first clean on a clock mvt., (the clock will run when submerged in gasoline).  then wash it off with a garden hose. AND don't smoke around gasoline.    vin