• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Terminology sometimes helps when trying to comunicate and explain a certain challenge which arised during the mechanical euphoria when trying to repair a watch, especially when one has a distance to the one trying to help me. I usually speak swiss horology jargon, fortunately there is a dictionary out there for that    http://www.fhs.swiss/berner/?l=en
    • Which is why many watchmakers prefer to install keyless works first thing. Last thing to come out first thing to go back in.
    • I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. I take off the balance with full power in the mainspring sometimes. Like when you put the watch on the timegrapher and something doesn't look right. My only rule is never take the pallet fork out when there is power. But.... Is there anyone out there that hasn't done that accidentally?  On older pocket watches with cylinder escapements, there is no pallet fork. In these type of movements, taking off the balance before power down will result in the gear train running at full speed. Don't ask me how I know that. On automatic watches that the winding stem does not engage the ratchet wheel, the way to power down the mainspring is to use a large screwdriver to engage the the barrel screw then release the click spring. Then slowly allow the screwdriver to release power from the mainspring. I wish there was a proper tool to do this, like a special screwdriver with a friction controlled release button. Does anyone know of a tool like that?
    • Thank you, fatality rate dropped considerably in the wake of lockdown and its picking up speed again, new preventive measures were put into effect as of yesterday. A bit of good news anounced on TV last night, researchers in Tehran have had success producing Vaccine, said to start testing it on human and expectedly be ready to present to WHO in three months.  And that we expect better news from research institutes out of four other countries before long.   AmGen said to have made substantial progress, Expected of the Giant.  
    • Thank you.  Hope your country comes out ok with this virus.  I have been hearing the news about how bad it is there.