My friend ebay again

oldhippy

Well my guess is that dial is not original to the movement, I think the original would have been a moon phase dial and those parts have been removed from the movement. the case just does not sit right with me the pagoda top looks to be a later fabrication.

hmm lets try again, so its a longcase movement from a much earlier period so would have been in a case of much grander proportions than it currently resides, the movement is mid 1700's to 1800 its a total and utter marriage of bits bought at auction sometime in the last year in the hope of fooling someone in parting with 749 quid

19 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

hmm lets try again, so its a longcase movement from a much earlier period so would have been in a case of much grander proportions than it currently resides, the movement is mid 1700's to 1800 its a total and utter marriage of bits bought at auction sometime in the last year in the hope of fooling someone in parting with 749 quid

It does say in the description clocks like this are  '' hard to find ''  :biggrin:

I've just had another look, looks like a date wheel drive facing through the front of the movement  

You are all correct in what you say. This is what is known as a marriage, the two main parts a case and movement put together to look as one, but with this one there’s more. When I said you need to know about longcase clocks, I was hoping someone would mention the false plate, that is the plate between the dial and the movement. Brass dials never had false plates only painted dials or what we call white dial clocks, if you look you can see top right it doesn’t even fit, there is no pillar to pin into it. The movement and false plate are as one and the seat board, but it’s been altered, the dial would have been a painted dial 12 inch, it is a late movement, you can tell it is late by the style of the pillars in the movement. The dial is from another clock, the spandrels on this dial have no significance at all, with antique brass dials, you can date the dial by the type of spandrel, this dial is I expect from the original movement as it fits well in the hood, so the dial and case fit each other. The hands are of a style from the 1750 to 1800 but these are more modern.  I’ve just looked at ebay and the sale has ended with no buyers.

If this had been a genuine antique Grandmother clock the price would have been in its thousands because they are as rear as rocking horse s**t.

Thanks to all that took part.

• Like 1

I hope that the knowledge that I pass on helps those on here that are interested in clocks. By turning it into a sort of game, makes learning fun. As you can see there is devil of a lot to learn when it comes to Longcase clocks, I have only scratched the service.

• Like 1

I haven't worked on any longcase
Clocks yet. But everything about this clock seems wrong the case looks newer and the movement something out of Frankenstein. It looks like parts don't belong. The case looks like the door won't close because it's too long up top. I can't wait to see what it is. I didn't see the pendulum. If it was as old as they say, the pendulum would be amazing and I would rip the door off to see it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The pendulum wasn't shown, that its self can give help with dating. The case is a style called Pagoda and yes it does look strange, certainly not my favorite design. If you have gone through my findings you can read why the parts don't belong. I expect one day you will work on a Longcase Clock, my self I have worked on hundreds from 30hour, 8day month duration and musical from all different periods.   

That is awesome. I love clocks and the different stories the tell. I will keep looking for a long case to work on. I love the amount of knowledge you have with clocks. I love the eBay questions. Keep up the good work.

When I posted on this thread none of the other comments showed up, till I posted. I was a little too late. Ha ha.

• Like 1