Showing off the workbench I just made

NickP

Like a proud father, I feel the urge to show off my latest creation.

We recently moved to a new house which finally gave me the space to have an office/workshop. I have been working on a tiny little homemade bench the past few years and have been dreaming of a proper bench. Sadly the ready made ones I wanted are way out of my league.

My design goals were:

1. Affordable
  2. versatile
  3. Free standing (i rent the house and cant drill bolts into the walls)
  4. Sturdy

I got the original inspiration from Dan Spitz. http://danspitz.com/for-sale/  

His concept is to make stunning workbench tops. You then supply the legs. However at £2,000 for the top, there was that budget thing again. I did however steal his idea (I don't actually know if he or someone else came up with it) of the routed groove along the edge. It has already proved to be a godsend in terms of catching small screws, and the odd tool. I decided to add a perspex screen on the back and down one side as I am notoriously rubbish at not flicking click springs etc across the room.

So, the basics.

Worktop: 40mm solid Beech kitchen work surface from Ebay 2000mm x 620mm - £85

Legs: Steel workbench legs from Machine Mart about £40 including shipping

Bench support: 2 L shaped steel struts from an old Victorian bed. £5.00 from a salvage yard, cleaned up with an angle grinder then polished.

Struts: 30mm square steel tubing from steel merchant £20.00

Danish oil for bare wood: £5.00 (four coats on either side)

£20 for bolts and screws.

So I made the whole thing for well under £200.

The top is extremely heavy and I haven't totally managed to eradicate minimal side movement and ideally I would bolt it to the wall but as I said I can't. Still it isn't going anywhere and I love it.

Of course you don't have to make it 2m long but I wanted somewhere for my lathe. I am building a perspex divider to protect the workbench from cuttings from the lathe.

Anyway, I hope it might give some of you some ideas.

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8109.JPG

IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

Edited by NickP
  • Like 9

Hi Nick

That looks really nice.... Natural light helps too. I see you have carpet...Hope youve got a big magnet....My daughter has left home (ah sad) but the upside is Ive moved my watchmaking gear in. Ive just finished my new bench too. it was an old pine desk purchased at auction for very little money. How can they justify £2000 for a top without legs? Here is a pic of mine.

Chris

IMG_20170213_203759_01.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

That looks great. :)

I like the lighting you use. Yes carpet is a big issue. I do have a good magnet actually, but I was taught quite a clever technique of putting a stocking over a dyson hand held vacuum. Works pretty well too.

I need more drawer space too, which you seem to have plenty of.

• Like 1

Hi Nick

You did mention side movement on your bench. When I built a workbench out of angle iron for my outside workshop I had the same problem. You need a couple of 'diagonals' perhaps at the back between the leg uprights and the top base. This would stop it trying to diamond out so to speak. 1/2 inch angle or box section would be ok and would eliminate the side movement you mention. Anyway you probably know all this.

Chris

8 minutes ago, chrisdt said:

Hi Nick

You did mention side movement on your bench. When I built a workbench out of angle iron for my outside workshop I had the same problem. You need a couple of 'diagonals' perhaps at the back between the leg uprights and the top base. This would stop it trying to diamond out so to speak. 1/2 inch angle or box section would be ok and would eliminate the side movement you mention. Anyway you probably know all this.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

So far it is very light, but need to see what happens when I start using the lathe. I shall certainly consider diagonals if I get a problem. Thanks again

That's a very nice bench indeed. You could stop any lateral movement with as @chrisdt says a full diagonal across the back but also a couple of knee braces would work one in either corner at the top about halfway down the leg at 45 degrees that should stop any movement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WileyDave said:

Very nice bench NickP AND room has a view! you could probably find some drawers that would fit between crossmembers and top. I especially like the clear Lucite wrap around parts catcher! :)

Dave

Thanks for the kind words Dave. The parts catcher is essential for me. I have a bad habit of flicking things across the room :)

as for the drawers I am constantly on the lookout for how I can do that. I totally agree with you.