Question

Hello!

I have a couple of watches  that have a strange extra sound that I don't know where it comes from. Could you share your opinions about that? I attach the mp3 file so you can hear it and also a wave print screen so you can see it. It is not knocking, hense I also attach a print screen from WOS.

One scenario would be that the "run to the banking" happens later then the "locking" instead of the same time. Fixing it would mean closing the banking pins. (just thinking out loud).

I am waiting for your thoughts.

Thank you!

Bogdan

tic.mp3

sound_wave.thumb.jpg.dc7ac82dd47e06c72160060fdd769f93.jpg

wos.thumb.jpg.77807e5970eb65822086dccc7f290753.jpg

Edited by matabog

10 answers to this question

Strange one. Is it by any chance a pin lever movement. I have noticed on a Timographer that the sensitivity has to be turned down with these movements to compensate for some of the unknown noises. If a swiss lever perhaps its a loose pallet. There is a fault analysis here by Witschi on pp5 it mentions the third noise !!!!!!

spooky

Witschi Training Course.pdf

You can see, it only appears after every 2nd noise. Most often this noise comes from hairspring / regulator pin (sticking, I suppose) and is harmless. Often it appears later in the cycle.

Other reasons are possible, however (e.g. jewel touching a horn).

Frank

Over banking is when the impulse pin over banks the wrong side of the pallet fork, the impulse then becomes trapped and the movement stops.

I can hear a pinging sound which is the hairspring expending and closing. I don't know what that popping sound is unless it is caused by a moving part in the movement that has poor lubrication or complete lack of oil. 

I have a Record 650 movement which makes a similar sound... it's almost like the hairsping is acting like a gong and tapping against the curb pin. My Omega constellation chronometer does it every tick instead of every other one, but it's done it from new so I don't feel the need to worry about it.

S

16 hours ago, clockboy said:

Strange one. Is it by any chance a pin lever movement. I have noticed on a Timographer that the sensitivity has to be turned down with these movements to compensate for some of the unknown noises. If a swiss lever perhaps its a loose pallet. There is a fault analysis here by Witschi on pp5 it mentions the third noise !!!!!!

spooky

sorry for my ignorance, but can you put an image of a pin lever movement please ? In english i am ignorant on lot of sentences or signification in horology.. thanks ;)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Domovoy
      Hello Sirs and Madams,

I am delighted to start this journey, this is my first time opening a mechanical watch and actually unscrewing a screw =D
      This is a Soviet Slava wrist watch that my uncle gifted in the distant past... initially 20 years ago I though I over wound the spring and broke it because the crown almost turned in neutral and would not hold sprint tension...
      ISSUE: The crown spins almost freely and the watch will not hold the wind, the crown unwinds back.
      Here is what I have done - took the back plate off, observed the mechanism and a youtube video to find a part called the "click" please correct me if I am wrong.  Under this "click" I found a spring in 2 pieces which I assume should be in one piece so that it can twist the click against the large cog to stop it from unwinding. 
      PLEASE advise me if I diagnosed the issue correctly and where I can find the proper parts to put back this watch back in operation.
    • By oldboy
      I am considering selling leather watch straps, but I have a question before I blindly go ahead and produce a bunch of them.
      I am wondering if anybody who has worked in the industry for a while can tell me what the most common sizes are of strap pins or lug widths?
      I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
      Anthony
    • By Furqan
      Hello Everyone.
      I need some help with repairing my Emporio Armani ar-1922.
      I've watched some videos on YouTube but none of them resemble the movement of this particular watch.
      My first problem is removing the stem/crown. I cannot see anything which looks like it will release the stem and I don't want to poke around inside it any more for fear of creating any damage.
      Any help will be much appreciated.
      Thanks.

• By wilding
      Hello and good afternoon to all.
      OK, here is another little horological teaser for you to get your heads around.
      I have this great OASIS lady's (?) B270 watch that I got in a set to be repaired. It actually only needed a battery and works great.
      However, the strap DEFINITELY needs replacing!
      AND here is my problem.
      I just CANNOT figure out HOW to get the spring bar out.
      Actually, I am not sure it IS a spring bar. I have tried hard with all manner of tools (spring bar removers, screwdrivers, sharp knives etc.) to get the spring to release, but no joy.
      I took the strap off by hand, so you can see the photos to see what I have. I really HOPE it IS a spring bar, but if so, HOW to get it out??
      And if it is NOT, then HOW to fit a new strap on other than by glue?
      Also, as an aside to all this, does ANYONE know how to set the date on this watch? 
      But first things first eh! As far as I can tell, there are NOT two positions that you can pull out the crown to. But I could well be wrong.

• By wilding
      Hello there watch fix fans. Here's (I hope) an interesting one for you.
      I have this beautiful small ladies 'Fero Feldmann' Swiss-made watch - it came in a bag of "used and to be repaired" watches.
      From what I can see, the mechanism seems in very good working order. Just a slight shake and it goes and goes. There is no strap, but that is not the issue here.
      The problem is the stem and/or crown. As you can see, there is definitely no crown. But I am wondering about the stem.
      The watch does have its case and edoes have, as you can see, a hole where the stem and/or crown will/should fit in.
      There is something which appears to be some kind of part-stem at the 3 o'clock position.
      Using tweezers I can pull it out and push it back in quite freely. A very small screw on top holds this "stem" in place. I think you can see, in ths second photo, how this "stem" attaches to the rest of the movement.
      Clearly I need to attach a crown. BUT what about a stem? A stem extension? Or one of those crowns which has an extended stem-like attachment which should fix onto this current "stem" in this watch?
      Yes, the watch face is somewhat scratched, and the minute hand is a little bent at the top. You may say it is not worth my while trying to get this fixed. But I just SO MUCH like this little watch and would LOVE to give it life again! It clearly IS still "alive" - though I'm not sure if it is a mechanical wind-up or an automatic. The latter of these seems to be the case - as I said earlier, a little shake and the mechanism goes and goes. PErhaps with a little oil (and lots of encouragement) it can be made good.
      So my main question - what kind of stem/crown to attach and how to do it?