Men

2. RyMoeller

RyMoeller

3. 94marconi

94marconi

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I just bought this little set at a mart and am wondering exactly what I have and whether the necessary parts are there to use it. It's obviously a small swiss staking set (Star brand), for watchmaking I presume. 

There's a large round flat stump on the right, screwed into a hole in the box, for hammering on I suppose. 

There is no frame, just a die plate that fits into a round "holder" as you can see from the photos below. Under the die plate are holes around the outside that fit into the knob in the round holder center recess to secure the die in place. The other hole in the round holder center recess allows the 4mm stakes to fit through. The larger round hole in the center recess is possibly just to fit onto the placement rod at the center of the box, to prevent the assembly from moving around too much when stored inside?

There is a long piece on the left that is meant to be secured in a vice, which has a flat surface on one end, and a taper with hole in the center at the other end. The stakes are 4mm in diameter and don't fit into the hole in the tapered end. 

Is there something missing and if not, how is this staking set meant to be used (as opposed to a more usual staking set with a frame, which I have).  I suppose for small staking jobs that could be done on a bench and would not need the perfect perpendicularity that a frame provides for the stake hitting the work? I also attach a catalog listing of a similar tool from the 1920's, in France.

Thank you, in advance, for your insights and expertise.
    • I started into old clocks and watches as a hobby about 3-4 years ago.  First old clocks, learned to restore a few American ones, a couple of French carriage clocks, odds and ends.  Started acquiring necessary tools.  Then my interest focused on old pocket watches, eventually settling on older verge-fusee watches from 18th century, predominantly French/Paris.  I enjoy buying old movements and working on them.  Satisfies my need to wield tools and work on mechanical objects, now that I'm at an age where working on cars is no longer of interest.  Working on watches meant buying a LOT more tool$, so I've slowly been building up a bit of a tool kit, and even more slowly learning how to use them properly, which means buying and reading a LOT of books.  Anyway, it's been fun and continues to be a source of mental challenge and stimulation that they say is good to ward off Alzheimer's!  Look forward to chatting with some of you here.   Best regards   --Robert
    • I'm looking for advice on what kind of steel stock makes good flat springs for watches?  What do you recommend?  Where can you get it?  Thanks!
    • Note that in Japanese movements the springs often wind the opposite way to the 'standard' Swiss movements. You can see in Mark's video above it has a RH bend. Therefore the standard spring winders don't work - the nib faces the wrong way and won't grab the spring.  I'm working on a Citizen with a 10mm barrel, and had to use a 9mm winder bit to wind the spring the wrong way, then transfer the spring to the 10 mm bit to reverse it before putting in the barrel. 
    • Should be fine just don't over do it. It's only a small screw just make sure the screwdriver fits the groove and a bit of pressure should do it. B