Is This Seiko A Fake?

Looks legit to me, the fakes are usually popular watches like divers. This one is hard to fake as not much market for it.

It could be a 'franken' in the sense that the movement has been switched or parts swapped.The shroud around the crown is a nice touch and fits real well so you're probably ok in this sense.

On buying from ebay it is important to 'buy' the seller. In this case 'blue_raw' has other watches which look ok so he's not in the 'frankenstein game' . You need to look out for sellers who sell a lot of similar stuffs, eg divers, chronos as they are probably churning them out by the dozen (usually from Thailand or Phillipines). Not saying you should avoid them but you need to know what you're in for and pay acccordingly.

Best sellers on ebay are those that advertise watches as found and list them together with other unrelated junk.. I usually avoid 'recently serviced' watches as most of them are bodged together.

all in all a good buy..

check back if you have problems getting the caseback open, this ones kinda tricky... :)

Anil

• Like 2

It looks like the real deal to me, and at an excellent price.

When you get it check this out :-

Seiko 7019A

Features

automatic

no manual wind

sweep second

day: quickset by repeated pushing the crown, 2 languages

date: quickset

• Like 1

Seiko 7019A

Features

automatic

no manual wind

sweep second

Been looking for some details on this watch, thanks. Only managed to find a leaflet with a list of replacement parts. There is an image of the movement but as its a scan of an old photocopy it's not very clear.

Excellent! It is a good movement but discontinued. Lots of good things are getting discontinued as a matter of course and substituted by "less dependable stuff" to put it one way! I think you have a good thing going with this watch. By the way, the tried and true 7S26/7S36 workhorse is a "logical evolution" of this movement.

Edited by bobm12

• 2 weeks later...

Seiko 7019A

Features

automatic

no manual wind

sweep second

Finally arrived today :D

Case, wrapped in spongy cellophane, then wrapped in bubblewrap and the whole lot in a Tupperware box. Well secure.

"Sweep second" Check

"Day, quickset" Check

IMG_20140724_105612.jpg

IMG_20140724_110046.jpg

IMG_20140724_110011.jpg

Edited by ro63rto

Looks good. But be aware there are a lot of frankensieko's with repainted/replacement dials and knackered innards coming out of India (some from the UK and elsewhere as well) at the moment - mainly the cheaper models - particularly fives. The giveaway is the fonts are wrong, they have "AUTOMATIC" &  "JAPAN MADE" at the bottom of the dials in oversize letters instead of the normal small sized JAPAN followed by numbers & letters. Its not just the more expensive divers watches that suffer fakery.

That's about right, by the way, as you can see the number on the back is not necessarily the same as the one on the dial. If you need to order parts, -- just in case -- those numbers will be very useful/essential to get the exact replacement part you need. (both the dial's and the one engraved on the back). Some parts "belong" to the case type, some to the movement itself and some go hand in hand with the dial.

• Like 1

Try fleabay particularly schillachi61 Stefan is a really good bloke. You may also find some stuff via Gleave & Co or Cousins in the UK (can't speak for other countries) they don't always list all the parts on their sites so e-mail them. If you need part numbers use J, Borell website here: http://cgi.julesborel.com although they don't list a great deal for this model. You may find a generic gasket to fit but if they are in good shape don't change them, just gently clean and use a little silicone grease on reassembly and don't get the watch wet. As for the crystal gasket take it apart to find out if it has one.

• Like 1

Right, crystal arrived packed as if I was about to play pass the parcel. Very well protected.

The big question is how to replace a square acrylic crystal?

Anyone done it before?

I only have round nylon adapters for my cheap ebay crystal press.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to upgrade the strap today with a padded leather avec butterfly clasp and suddenly saw how to open the casing. Never seen that way before. Is it a Seiko method?

IMG_20140816_105929.jpg

As you can see, there is a gasket under the crystal and it is indeed perished. Can't find one anywhere.

IMG_20140816_110015.jpg

Certainly is, its not an uncommon Seiko case, I have an earlier 6106-5410 that works on the same principle but the connection is different. The gasket part no. is EK3055B34. Try Stefan (schillachi61 on fleabay AKA seikochrono on SCWF), a good bloke who holds a lot of NOS parts, in fact he has the crystal for this listed on fleabay at the moment.

P.S. just noticed I mentioned all this earlier must be old gits disease. NURSE, where's me pills?

Edited by Blacklab
  • Like 1