Pith quality (and other pith related questions)

Halvis

I'm starting my journey into servicing watch movements and need to order some pithwood. I am ordering from Cousins, and have no experience with pith.

The indian pith is way cheaper than AF or Bergeon, and they are out of german. How much does the quality matter? Is the indian good enough, or should I go for the swiss?

Two other questions:

1.  Sticks vs discs. Sticks seems more economical. Are there any reasons, besides convenience to go for discs? Are the sticks easy to cut?
  2.  Is there some sort of rule of thumb for how long a pith disc will last, or how often it should be changed?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Bergeon has branded pith wood?  :rolleyes:

I think I've given less thought to pith than any else when it comes to watch service.  I bought some cheap sticks that came from Atlanta if I remember correctly.  They'll last me for years and seem to do the job just fine.  I cut off a small disk and use it primarily to clean tools or hold oilers and needles when not in use.  They're a good place to set a balance wheel when you're not using it too.

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, sticks are pretty easy to cut
  2. They last a long time in my experience.  I change them out when the whim hits me.
Edited by RyMoeller
Forgot to answer the OP's question
  • Like 1

Don't now why but never use pith wood. There are some small round ones on my oil cups i have used but for cleaning the oiler? Most of the time i clean the oiler in Rodico? 

The pith wood never is on the table as it so light it always is somewhere else?

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

I have both sticks indian and german, and I can see the difference. German ones are smooth and no particles failing from them, indian seems to be different, not so smooth and some small bits of wood comming off them. Im sure that paying more for german ones is worth as it save a lot of issues when this tiny bits of wood stick to your table or movement. Same is with bigger pieces of pithwood.

Sticks vs. round ones - both are needed for different purposes, sticks for cleaning small or hard to reach places and softer round ones or made of core pith wood are for pivots and other delicate parts.

Edited by Rafal