TheBeerGuy

tools for newbs?

1 hour ago, trigus said:

Bear with me here - this is a serious question (albeit one asked in ignorance). Total tool length would increase slightly, and then you would need to label or distinguish between pin vises because they would all essentially be the same with different bits (in this case buying a set of 9 pin vises to make a full "set").

I recommend against that for user as screwdriver because it's way too fat and heavy, proper watchmakers driver are thin and light to get a good feeling. Cousins UK have "value" which means copied with attention. Same has Ofrei. I used Indian drivers for years without any problem on Seiko, but that's because these have wider slots than Swiss. Now I'll be getting some brand drivers when bought individually they aren't even that expensive. Very good ones are France made, A*F and others  I'm sure can be found for a discount. Then I treated myself to the below, Ebay 202315546239, very nice finishing, handy dressing stone and a storage for blades. It's much better than a flimsy plastic chrome rotating stand that comes with cheap sets.

p.jpg

Edited by jdm

Ok, so in your opinion the downside which I overlooked is excessive weight (for watchmaking, at least) and loss of close tactile feel present in a in mini driver. Makes sense.

Trigus,

Watchmaker screwdriver shafts are skinny for a reason. It is to reduce the force transmitted from your fingers and thumb to the screwdriver tip. The screws used in watches are very tiny and can be easily overpowered and broken.. Trying to use a pin vice could present problems from applying too much torque to the screw, twisting it in half.  Breaking  a screw off in a watch plate can be a disastrous problem as you may not be able to get the broken piece of screw out of the plate. Most inexpensive watch screwdrivers are usable,  especially when starting out. You can start out with a less expensive set and upgrade at a later time. 

we're skirting the edge a slippery slope......how long before someone notes" $10,000 for a watch!  wtf, my phone has the time on it!"  :).   Point is we're in a space that depends on being driven by more than meeting just the minimal needs.

There's a pride of ownership thing, but maybe that's just BS tripping.  However the quality mix decision should also include "trust" and "pleasure of use"  Trust means should expect the best performance from a quality brand without crossing ones fingers.  Even though sometimes they fail with that, its far less frequent and there's usually recourse vs the low cost items.  Pleasure of use is a simple thing I've realized after close to 30 years of shop experience; really nice tools are a pleasure to use and less nice ones are a frustration.  As I do this for fun, for self actualization, I want it to pleasurable not frustrating.  

I've put together a workshop largely of the best stuff, but its been done slowly and inexpensively (truth be told, with a bit of buying and selling along the I really don't have much into it) through used tool purchases, estate sales, package deals etc.  Its the old cliche, you want it now, great quality and low price: pick two.  Its a personal decision, I chose high quality and low price. 

Edited by measuretwice

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.