Pin lever pallet fork lubrication?

rogart63

• 1 year later...

Hello Old Hippy and Mark.   Sorry to resurrect this old thread but it's of interest to me.  I have a keen interest in the older English vintage watches which tend to nearly always be pin pallet movements and in order to get these to run well, one need s be very fastidious over set up of beat and adjustment of the hairspring, and of course lubrication.  I was wondering, what is the difference between oiling the escapement teeth versus applying oil to the pallet pins?  How is the end result different please?  Any tips on setting up pin pallets movements or lubricating would be much appreciated please.   Ps I current use Moebius 8000/4 applied with extra-fine oiling pin directly to the pallet pins, but will try Marks method of applying to the the escapement teeth next time.

Kind regards, Deggsie.

Do as Mark has pointed out. A little on a few of the escape wheel teeth, by the action of the watch it will distribute the oil to the pallet pins this in turn will oil the rest of the teeth on the escapement wheel.  

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Do as Mark has pointed out. A little on a few of the escape wheel teeth, by the action of the watch it will distribute the oil to the pallet pins this in turn will oil the rest of the teeth on the escapement wheel.  

and is Moebius 8000/4 ok to use?