Tell me what you think of this.

oldhippy

15 minutes ago, Folkvisor said:

This is really interesting but way beyond me.

I just test myself by putting everything on the bench, mixing it up a little, and then making myself name all the little rascals and telling myself what they are all for. I figure if I know what they are I should be able to put it all back together. LOL

Dave

That is a good way of going about it, just make sure you don't have anything leftover.:D

• Like 2

When I was a little girl, I took a watch apart, taped every part to a piece of cardboard and wrote the names of each of the parts next to them.  I never put that watch back together... in reality, in my lifetime, I have thoroughly destroyed way more watches than I've ever repaired. 

Dave, I think you're a brave man for challenging yourself like that... I'm not there yet. :unsure:

• Like 2

Well, I ripped off a regulating pin trying to carefully remove a hairspring. The hairspring is fine but, of course, the watch doesn't work very well.

I'm not even going to try to put another pin on the lever. Time to buy a whole new balance cock methinks...

Years and years ago, I was a student when our music school class was invited to a rehearsal of Byron Janus playing The Emperor with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra. One of the students almost hung over him watching him play. During a short break she asked him, "Maestro Janus, how can you play so fast and play all the right notes?" He answered, "Hell, I don't play all the right notes!" 

So, there you go...

• Like 2