How to replace top balance jewel KIF spring for Rolex 3135

rumjungl

Hello,

I broke the KIF spring while removing the top balance jewel on my 3135.  I cannot figure out how to fit the new spring.  The hook in the setting for the spring appears to be pressed below the lip of the setting and I cannot get the spring to attach.  I do not want to punch the setting out just to replace a spring.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

14 minutes ago, rumjungl said:

Hello,

I broke the KIF spring while removing the top balance jewel on my 3135.  I cannot figure out how to fit the new spring.  The hook in the setting for the spring appears to be pressed below the lip of the setting and I cannot get the spring to attach.  I do not want to punch the setting out just to replace a spring.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

Hello there RJ,

If you post some pictures that would help. I had a similar problem with an Incabloc spring. Photos would be  the best way to get some input.

JC

Yeah I see it. You should be able to see two small grooves in the setting where the new spring has to slide into. You'll need some good lighting, magnification and two good brass tweezers to do the job: one to hold the new spring, and the other to gently nudge into place. Is that tape you have on the balance? Try using a small piece of saran or "cling" wrap over the spring so that it doesn't fly off when trying to put into place. It will take patience, but it can be done.

J

It is Kif type 3 (Elastor) Rolex part 4494.
If my memory serves me well type3 is a  KEF Elastor 1.50 spring. 

1. To fit my advise is first de-magnitise the spring & also de-magnitise your tweezers. 
2. Have really good lighting & good magnification. For me a microscope is the best.
3. Use the method shown in the vid but I use an old oiler to do the pushing & sharpened peg wood over it to stop the flyer.

The first time I replaced a shock spring was on a 3135 & it took me 4 hours + before any success. The clingfilm trick J uses is also a method that works. 

For the above reasons purchase more than one.

• Like 1

I use a pointed piece of rodico as spring safety measure. Unlike the stick, it's easy to hold in place with the left hand, and will not interfere much with positioning the spring.

And yes, Gary Biscelli of Lititz Watch Technicum (perplxer) is a master, but I find him kind of intimidating.

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

It is Kif type 3 (Elastor) Rolex part 4494.
If my memory serves me well type3 is a  KEF Elastor 1.50 spring. 

1. To fit my advise is first de-magnitise the spring & also de-magnitise your tweezers. 
2. Have really good lighting & good magnification. For me a microscope is the best.
3. Use the method shown in the vid but I use an old oiler to do the pushing & sharpened peg wood over it to stop the flyer.

The first time I replaced a shock spring was on a 3135 & it took me 4 hours + before any success. The clingfilm trick J uses is also a method that works. 

For the above reasons purchase more than one.

One other point I forgot to mention I personally found it easier to fit the spring with the jewel removed as the dam thing kept flying away.

Progress!  With the help from you guys I was able to get the spring hooked in.  However, in my previous attempts I slightly bent the spring so it is not totally flat and I am having difficulty getting the arms to hook under the setting lip.  I will try to lightly work the arms into place tomorrow.  I didn't want to push it any further while I'm ahead 8).  Thank you all for the help.  J, the cling wrap idea was great.  I have used that before when removing mainsprings, didn't think about jewel springs!

1 hour ago, rumjungl said:

Progress!  With the help from you guys I was able to get the spring hooked in.  However, in my previous attempts I slightly bent the spring so it is not totally flat and I am having difficulty getting the arms to hook under the setting lip.  I will try to lightly work the arms into place tomorrow.  I didn't want to push it any further while I'm ahead 8).  Thank you all for the help.  J, the cling wrap idea was great.  I have used that before when removing mainsprings, didn't think about jewel springs!

Fantastic. I am glad you've made progress. Just put it aside and work on it later. I have learned that it is best to take one's time with things like this rather than push ahead and possibly undo all the progress. Good job!

J

Success!  I finally got the spring installed.  I used the technique from the video Matabog provided.  The trick was to set the rounded area of the spring arms in the center of the setting lip and gently press the end clip into the seat.  I held the spring on some Rodico for this.  Once it was set down I used some pegwood to press the end clip in a little further.  I used the brass tweezers to gently slide the arm ends under the lip and then used the pegwood to gently press the spring further back into the seat as suggested in the video.  I used to hate the Novodiak system but I think it has nothing on this KIF system lol!