Need help please

It's experience.  Some screws have a look about them that helps you discern the bridge screws from the click screw and keyless works.  Mostly, it's just from experience though.  Novices (such as myself) replace the screw during disassembly so that they are not mixed up.

• Like 2

I use ice cube trays and keep parts together in lots of small groups as rogart says. Remember to check each screw and it's location as you remove them... sometimes you will find 3 different screws on the same bridge. I often make a sketch to help remember those, but it also helps to stare hard at the parts and work out why as they come apart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frenchie said:

The way I do it is keep the screw next to the part it holds.

This works for me too.

2 hours ago, Douglas1701 said:

What about when cleaning in the sonic cleaner, do you keep them seperate in there also?

Unless the movement is really dirty, I don't bother cleaning screws, just another chance to lose one or two in the process.

• Like 2

When you are just starting out, you can take photos before each step.  I never thought of putting the screws back in, but I'm not sure if they will stay in through the cleaning.  It does seem like a good idea.  Good luck!

Shirley

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WileyDave said:

This works for me too.

Unless the movement is really dirty, I don't bother cleaning screws, just another chance to lose one or two in the process.

I do the same? If they are really dirty i clean them in a cup of naptha and use Rodico to clean the last dirt of? If it's a Seiko i  have a lot of old movements and just take some better looking screw  from them. 

Or i put them back on the movement in and clean them with the parts. 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1