Custom made video camera for watch repair

systeman

Hi everyone, I've almost finished making and testing my custom made camera for watch repair etc. I'm running tests at the moment and will share more information later on. This is what it should be able to do:

• Compact,
  • Can be mounted directly overhead or for recording video and seeing in real time the watch being worked on,
  • Working distance from 30 cm up to 55 cm,
  • Plug it into a Windows 10, USB 3 or 2 port, to see in real time the watch movement being worked on,
  • Capture to various video format with voice,
  • Capture photos for reference,
  • Connect to Skype for educational purposes

Below is a couple of photos, the first one gives an indication of how compact it is, the second one (not from overhead but along a work surface) set at a working distance of 50 cm.

customcam-1a.thumb.JPG.38734f7555c45a680f24417fa7b53bcc.JPG

5893524895d25_Picture3a.thumb.jpg.ac6a1b0354ad6faafec90d4137a2de30.jpg

The photo above was taken in my lounge with only LED room lighting. With the camera mounted overhead and a daylight LED lamp, the video and photo capture would be improved.

The software that comes with this will enable me to zoom in live so that a sub dial would almost fill the screen on the computer monitor.

WIN_20170202_12_14_15_Pro.mp4

Edited by systeman
  • Like 4

Hello Systeman

I have always wondered how forum members upload so great photos...

My current photo device is my ipad ,,lol.

But I will love to set up one like yours..Can you provide camera , lens , software etc. you are using ?

thank you much

Moises

16 hours ago, CapMoy said:

Hello Systeman

I have always wondered how forum members upload so great photos...

My current photo device is my ipad ,,lol.

But I will love to set up one like yours..Can you provide camera , lens , software etc. you are using ?

thank you much

Moises

Search the forums for more info on microscopes and cameras.

Some use DSLR and camcorders, USB microscopes are also used. I just wanted something lightweight and less bulky. The most important thing for me to consider was working distance. Microscopes are invaluable for really close up work, but a good microscope with a sensible working distance of say 40cm to 50cm will cost a fair bit. Older type camcorders are also used because some of them have a firewire output port for connecting to a monitor or computer, so that one can see real time video. Unfortunately, some of the latest DSLR and camcorders, due to the nature of their video capture capability, cannot do this; they do not have the capability of capturing video as well as seeing in real time what's being worked on.

Edited by systeman
typos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still running some tests on my home made camera setup and am pleased to show a couple more photos.

The first shows the camera rig mounted to my home made, height adjustable worktop. The camera is set up with a 40cm working distance. The second image is of movement at that distance. Please note that both were taken in low light conditions.

customcam-1c.JPG.e8bda3968b5eade30645cdd4fe2f75ea.JPG

Movement at 40cm distance in low light conditions.

webcam-test1a.jpg.6f49a7d274d29ec84844e1aa4576011d.jpg

20170227135314.mts

• Like 1