Looks like this watch will be my first vitim....

Trust me, I have no intentions of doing anything else to it for a long while.....lol.....well, nothing other than keeping a check on lost or gained time. I guess this is essentially a rolex movement. A copy of the cotebert 616 which had 17 jewels and this one has an added jewel to be 18 jewels. The movement has a pretty good finish on it also. Some of them deffinately do not. How does your rolex do from day to day? A friend of mine boought a $12,000 rolex wrist watch one time, that is the only one I have ever seen.

On 31/01/2017 at 10:49 AM, Douglas1701 said:

Ordered this watch today so I could learn to take it apart, clean it and put it back together again. Its a 18 jewel movement that looks to be in pretty good shape. Hopefully no problems and I can just practice dissasembly and assembly.....any thoughts?

image.png

Douglas , good choice because it's a simple movement ;)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Douglas1701 said:

Trust me, I have no intentions of doing anything else to it for a long while.....lol.....well, nothing other than keeping a check on lost or gained time. I guess this is essentially a rolex movement. A copy of the cotebert 616 which had 17 jewels and this one has an added jewel to be 18 jewels. The movement has a pretty good finish on it also. Some of them deffinately do not. How does your rolex do from day to day? A friend of mine boought a $12,000 rolex wrist watch one time, that is the only one I have ever seen.

Now we have time on computer, laptop, smart phone, and sometimes we can see the time on some buildings. Yes Rolex is of pure quality as Vacheron Constantin and some other brands, However, in view of what I list above, it's too expensive paid $ 12,000 for a watch today. True that this is only my personal opinion. I hope it is gold 24 Karats :)
Edited by SeikoWatch
  • Like 1

I dont remember much about the rolex...only saw it once 20 years ago. He won the lottery in florida and thats why he had the money to buy it...lol....I just completed another time study with this molnija ...in 4 hours and 30 minutes the difference between it and the digital stop watch was 1.5 seconds....is that pretty decent?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Douglas1701 said:

I dont remember much about the rolex...only saw it once 20 years ago. He won the lottery in florida and thats why he had the money to buy it...lol....I just completed another time study with this molnija ...in 4 hours and 30 minutes the difference between it and the digital stop watch was 1.5 seconds....is that pretty decent?

Today it was lying on the table all day, before it was in my pocket and on the table part of the day.

I just ordered my first victim, and then I found this thread and read this article ... now I wish I had read this first

On 16/02/2017 at 7:05 PM, Endeavor said:

Perhaps this may be of any use? http://linuxfocus.org/~guido/molnija-pocket-watch/

I just serviced one, very nice and easy to work on; great "starter";

I'm thinking that Molnija is very cool, perhaps I know what my second victim will be ;-) I wanted my first victim to be the cheapest thing I could get my hands on, and in fully working condition. I'm sorry to say it's not as pretty as those older Molnija's. Why is it vintage watches in general are more aesthetically appealing than modern ones, same goes with cars (I know why classic cars are sexier than modern ones)?

Here's the cheap chinese one I ordered.

Fashion-Bronze-Mechanical-Hand-Wind-Pocket-Watch-Roman-Numerals-Skeleton-Gears-Watch-Men-Women-Watch-Large (1).jpg

Fashion-Bronze-Mechanical-Hand-Wind-Pocket-Watch-Roman-Numerals-Skeleton-Gears-Watch-Men-Women-Watch-Large.jpg

2 hours ago, SteveT said:

I just ordered my first victim, and then I found this thread and read this article ... now I wish I had read this first

I'm thinking that Molnija is very cool, perhaps I know what my second victim will be ;-) I wanted my first victim to be the cheapest thing I could get my hands on, and in fully working condition. I'm sorry to say it's not as pretty as those older Molnija's. Why is it vintage watches in general are more aesthetically appealing than modern ones, same goes with cars (I know why classic cars are sexier than modern ones)?

Here's the cheap chinese one I ordered.

Fashion-Bronze-Mechanical-Hand-Wind-Pocket-Watch-Roman-Numerals-Skeleton-Gears-Watch-Men-Women-Watch-Large (1).jpg

Fashion-Bronze-Mechanical-Hand-Wind-Pocket-Watch-Roman-Numerals-Skeleton-Gears-Watch-Men-Women-Watch-Large.jpg

Man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if its anything like the cheap chineese one that i have, the movement is about the size of a wrist watch....alot smaller than a normal pocket watch.

1 minute ago, Douglas1701 said:

Man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if its anything like the cheap chineese one that i have, the movement is about the size of a wrist watch....alot smaller than a normal pocket watch.

The movement part you can see in the opening is about the size of the movement.

31 minutes ago, Douglas1701 said:

Bummer, oh well never mind it was only the price of 3 takeaway Latte's so no loss .. I will search for a molnija 3602

• Like 1

As Wiley Dave suggests , take photos as you dissemble your watches . You can never take too many . On more then one occasion I was glad I took photos and have used them for reference as needed , or when someone else comes up with a question about the same movement or procedure it's good to have them handy to share .

Also as a suggestion , I sometimes use ice cube trays to place the part along with their particular screws . And then it's easy to see the order that I disassembled the watch . I will even take a photo of the parts and screws in the trays so I know which parts go with which screws after I clean them .

• Like 2