ETA 2824-2 - Cant engage manual wind

Hi all,

I've been labouring over this issue all weekend and just can't fix it. In assembling the keyless works in a ETA 2824-2 (actually a "Chinese clone" - cloud this be the issue??) i cannot get the manual wind to engage.

I have re-assembled the works several times, substituting parts from another 2824 (clone) movement to try to eliminate the faulty part.. But no joy.

When i look carefully at what is going on, the Double Corrector lever is not pushing the Yoke across to the right far enough to engage the clutch wheel to the winding pinion, it's falling short a couple of mill. I can push the clutch over with a screwdriver the rest of the way and then the winding works (until the clutch slips off of the pinion again).

I've had no end of trouble with the keyworks on this movement (stem dislodging the Setting Lever etc etc.. Does anybody have any experience of this problem ? Am i likely to experience these issues due to using a cheap clone ? I've actually just ordered all of the separate (genuine ETA) keyless components from eBay to see if they work when i fit them.. This is bugging me !

Thanks

Darren

15 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Had trouble with a 2632 just about now? Couldn't get it to wind with the crown either? Found that the bridge was worn here? Changed the bridge for a better one and now is working again.  

images (2).jpg

Yeah, don't think its a bridge issue as i can place the clutch where it needs to be manually, just can't get the yoke to do it !

2 hours ago, DarrenThomson said:

Yeah, don't think its a bridge issue as i can place the clutch where it needs to be manually, just can't get the yoke to do it !

Is it locked up or just don't wind when you turn the crown? 

My Eta 2632 has about the same construction as a 2824? 

i could wind it with a screwdriver on the barrel but when tried to wind it with the crown it was locked up . 

An other old movement an 2532 i have has a broken winding pinion. 

Have the right stem?  

Not locked up, Roger.. The clutch is just falling short of the pinion, when the keyless work is set to "wind" (so it just spins freely). I just took delivery of every part of the keyless work (including stem) so i'm going to put them all in over the weekend and see what happens.. After that, i'm beaten and i'll put it down to a poor clone..

On 1/30/2017 at 1:18 PM, DarrenThomson said:

I've actually just ordered all of the separate (genuine ETA) keyless components from eBay to see if they work when i fit them.. This is bugging me !

"to see if" is the right expression.. let us know.

Edited by jdm

CRACKED IT (actually, thanks to Mark's "Servicing 2824" video).. The problem was that i was engaging the spring with setting jumper (thanks, "SirMike) but not (at the other end) with the "Return Bar".. Such a simple fix but had me stumped for days. THANK YOU MARK (and to everybody for your help).. Happy man.. now.. about fitting the balance... !

Edited by DarrenThomson
  • Like 1