Poljot 2612 balance

MikeH

Hi,

I have been servicing a Poljot 2612 alarm movement - everything stripped, cleaned and 99% reassembled - however I an really struggling with getting the balance back in.  I've now spent 3 separate sessions just trying to get the balance in - but still no success.   Very frustrating.

I notice that there are a few references in these forums of people having serviced similar 2612 movements - so I'm wondering whether there is any advice on the best / most successful way to re-install the balance?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, I've had a look on the net for one of these movements and it doesn't look like balance installation should be too much of a problem.

Here's an answered I gave about balance installation a couple of years ago and maybe it wil help you.

"This is the bit that gave me the most heartache when I started. 

Wind the watch 1-2 turns and check that the escapement levers flicks sharply from side to side by gently pushing it with a dry oiler or tooth pick.

If all is well, fit the balance wheel. Make sure that you position the balance jewel correctly regarding the end of the lever. Looking down on the lever, if it lying to the right, ensure that the balance jewel is even further to the right when you drop the balance into position. Vice versa if the lever is lying to the left. As you turn the balance cock into the correct position the balance jewel will automatically engage the lever and watch should start running.

As a wee aside, when oiling a watch, do not oil the jewels on the escapement lever."

Hi - thanks for the prompt response. I've tried everything the article you mention refers to (having wound the mainspring a little to get the pallet fork to the point where it can flick from one side to the other - but stil no luck.   From what I'm seeing the balance can't just drop in since the gap isn't quite large enough - it's almost like it needs to 'slide' in, and this causes problems with the hairspring and balance cock causing the balance jewel to get out of position.

It feels almost as if I need to remote the main train bridge to free up some space to alow the balance to drop in freely.

Retfacedgit has some great videos on this movement on youtube - 7 parts - however part 6 seems to be missing and that's the one where he (presumably) installs the balance.

Just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this problem?

Mike

• Similar Content