Omega 1010 (the watch from hell). Date change finger, why so expensive?

mikepilk

What I thought was a bargain Omega Seamaster Cal 1010, has turned in to the watch from hell (see below*)!

At least it's been a good learning experience.

I thought I'd finally got it all sorted, but on final checking found that the plastic date change finger (part 1562) is worn, and doesn't quite flip the date over. 

Cousins want £70+VAT for what seems to be a relatively simple part (now changed to metal, the plastic wearing was obviously a problem).

The cheapest on ebay about £35. Is it just rarity keeping the price high ?

Anyone know a source of anything cheaper.

Thanks 

Mike

* On stripping the watch I was dismayed to find the dial stuck on, the dial feet had been removed. 
It seems that there had been water damage - the dial feet screws were corroded in, as was the screw for the wig-wag pinion spring.
The keyless work was discoloured, but useable once cleaned.

Fortunately I found a good new mainplate on ebay for a cheap price.
I bought some dial feet, and superglued then on, - I'm very happy with the result.
Then I found severe wear in two of the automatic unit bushes and pivots - again a replacement of the whole unit from ebay,
I hadn't spotted a damaged tooth on the minute wheel until final assembly. A new one from ebay !

Then today I find the date change finger worn. Arghhh

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Cousins want £70+VAT for what seems to be a relatively simple part (now changed to metal, the plastic wearing was obviously a problem).

The cheapest on ebay about £35. Is it just rarity keeping the price high ?

Anyone know a source of anything cheaper.

I'm afraid that you are bit removed from the reality of the cost of owning and repairing quality watches. 35 pounds is what, lunch for two or something like that? Omega service prices start from 450 pounds if I'm not wrong, and they expect you to pay that every 7 years or so. And let's not even get to discuss the purchase and service cost of really expensive pieces, or even the cost of books, training, tools, consumables, or pretty much anything that relates to the subject of horology.

Watchmaking as an hobby can be cheap as long you are limit yourself to swapping crystals and polishing cases. All the rest it is not, yet I found it too be still cheaper that other hobbies I have or have had.

Good luck with your project!

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Hi JDM

I'm definitely not removed from reality!  I know that quality parts cost money, and spend it when I have to.

I was just wondering why this, seemingly simple part, is so relatively expensive.  

On Cousins, a new Cannon Pinion with Drive wheel is £39, the date finger £70

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

17 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I'm definitely not removed from reality!  I know that quality parts cost money, and spend it when I have to.

I was just wondering why this, seemingly simple part, is so relatively expensive.  

On Cousins, a new Cannon Pinion with Drive wheel is £39, the date finger £70

Really I have to reiterate my thinking to make ti more clear. In this industry, there is very little relation between what you pay, and what you get. Prices are mostly is driven by passion, interest, and speculation. Spare parts are no exception.

You want an better example? One 2mm x 1mm Seiko stem gasket cost 4.5 pounds, and is not like it's rare, or discontinued, or difficult to manufacture. It is because when servicing their diver's watch, most people are OK paying that in  order to have "the best possible".

Again to answer you question, "why ?": Because that is what they (which is not necessarily Cousins) can change for it, and still sell it. Take it or leave, really.

• Like 1

Of course I will have to take it to complete the watch.

I was just feeling a bit miffed after all that's been wrong with this watch, that such a small part was costing me more than I paid for the replacement mainplate.

My 'daily' watch for the last 15 years has been a Breitling - so I do know all about service costs!

Now exactly how you feel? Have been tinkering with a 1022 movement with the same problems for a while now? Thanks to @noirrac1j i managed to get some parts that i needed. But i am not really there yet? A few parts is still needed to be repaired and i don't now if i ever going to get it finished? But will have a look at it tomorrow and manufacture a new dial spacer. On which i am going to glue the dial? That has no dialfeets? 

Edited by rogart63

Hello

@mikepilk I understand completely about the frustration with the cost of parts. That's where this site comes in handy...with a world-wide network of hobbyist, there's bound to be someone with some spare parts! I have a plastic date change finger #1562, which if you need can be yours for the cost of shipping.

DSCN5001.jpg

DSCN5002.jpg

I have quite a few other parts as well. @rogart63 I am sure you'll get that pesky Omega project sorted out...I have my eye out for the spacer ring, but nothing yet.

J

Edited by noirrac1j
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

Hello

@mikepilk I understand completely about the frustration with the cost of parts. That's where this site comes in handy...with a world-wide network of hobbyist, there's bound to be someone with some spare parts! I have a plastic date change finger #1562, which if you need can be yours for the cost of shipping.

DSCN5001.jpg

DSCN5002.jpg

I have quite a few other parts as well. @rogart63 I am sure you'll get that pesky Omega project sorted out...I have my eye out for the spacer ring, but nothing yet.

J

This forum is great? Where can you get this kind of help with parts? Hope you sort it out @mikepilk

On 1/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, rogart63 said:

Now exactly how you feel? Have been tinkering with a 1022 movement with the same problems for a while now? Thanks to @noirrac1j i managed to get some parts that i needed. But i am not really there yet? A few parts is still needed to be repaired and i don't now if i ever going to get it finished? But will have a look at it tomorrow and manufacture a new dial spacer. On which i am going to glue the dial? That has no dialfeets? 

Which spacer are you missing @rogart63 ?

I found that gluing new dial feet on with superglue quite easy, and they seem secure.

On 1/29/2017 at 5:16 PM, noirrac1j said:

Hello

DSCN5001.jpg

DSCN5002.jpg

J

Thanks for the very generous offer @noirrac1j - but I've already ordered a part.

I will get this watch fixed !

This is the 4th Omega in my collection. The other three were a pleasure to work on. I suppose I was due a turkey.

3 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Which spacer are you missing @rogart63 ?

I found that gluing new dial feet on with superglue quite easy, and they seem secure.

There must be a spacer between the movement and dial? Maybe the 1010 doesn't have it as it's a date only movement . Omega 1022 have both day and date? 

When i mount the movement in the watch the disc gets looked up. 

3 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Thanks for the very generous offer @noirrac1j - but I've already ordered a part.

I will get this watch fixed !

This is the 4th Omega in my collection. The other three were a pleasure to work on. I suppose I was due a turkey.

You're welcomed. Keep us informed on the progress.

J