not sure this goes under repair.

rogart63

Bought a nice working omega Chronostop jumbo a few months ago. Looks and have a little patina on the dial? And the case has been polished. Wrong crystal to . So i was thinking if i could  do the sunburst grinding myself with a jig or something? Doesn't have to be perfect. Just as good as i don't have to see the polished case. Do you guys have any tips for an easy jig i can use a sandpaper in ? It going t be a watch i use a lot so will get a few knocks here and there maybe. Better to look original with bad scratches the polished to a dull boring case? Pictures will come.

Here's how I do it:

Take a piece of hardwood around 3mm thick. Glue a strip of 600 or 400 grit wet and dry paper to it. Stroke the abrasive against the surface and rotate the case slightly with each stroke. This sounds a bit basic but it is possible to achieve an excellent finish doing it by eye, I hold the case in my left hand and work the abrasive with my right.. You may to go over it a few times, but the end result is good. You have to imagine each stroke going through the centre of the dial, that's the way to get the angle correct.  I`ve refinished several sunburst finished cases this way and people have always been impressed with the results.

I was surprised how easy it is. I tried setting up a jig but found this method worked OK..

Best to practice on an old case to get the technique, and be sure to mask areas you don`t want to refinish. As with all things, there's a degree of skill involved and you do need to practice first.

Paul

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ro63rto said:

Could this be used as a lapping machine or is the disk too small?

PARKSIDE Disc Sander

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=1063&articleId=41505&type=offerdatelist&productId=41505&countryCode=GB

Sent from my Honor 5c

Maybe could be worth a try? If Lidl sells it here in Sweden? Could maybe have other use for it to?