Can any movement use a screw-down crown ?

Hi

I'm building a watch using an ETA 2824-2 movement and an "Rolex Explorer" style case which (like the Rolex) has a screw-down crown. I hadn't thought this through before i purchased the case and have never fitted a movement into a case like this before.

My question is, can any movement be used with a screw-down crown ? I'm just trying to think this through.... The 2824-2 only has 2 positions: "fully in" (winding) and "out" (setting). How will i be able to screw the crown in if the stem is already in the "winding" position ??

Please help !

Darren

As Oldhippy states, with a screw down crown, the stem length is very important for the crown's clutch to be fully operational, when the stem is cut to the required length, when you push the crown onto the tube thread, the crowns clutch disengages, thus allowing the crown to free wheel so to speak, and screw down onto the tube thread without manually winding the watch movement.

Having said that, i have come across many watches, new, and used, where in some cases, whilst screwing down the crown, the movement is indeed manual would a little.

12 hours ago, DarrenThomson said:

How will i be able to screw the crown in if the stem is already in the "winding" position ?

Because there is a spring the crown, which get compressed. The stem itself doesn't move down any further.

Edited by jdm