Elgin Pocket Watch

CLS

3 hours ago, szbalogh said:

Mainspring broken.

Yes, quite possibly. 

Time to open the watch and look to see if the barrel arbor is being turned to wind up the mainspring as it should do when the crown is turned. Take photos to help re-assembly. 

The balance and hairspring are very, very delicate: if you don't know how to remove the balance then watch some YouTube videos of Mark's watch repair channel. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CLS said:
17 hours ago, CLS said:

I bought this off eBay listed as "Needs repaired", thinking I would attempt to fix it up. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or maybe let me know if the seller meant to say "for spare parts"?

CLS, to answer your question, unless seller is a 'watch' person, meaning they exclusively sell watches and parts, then they probably found this at estate, flea market, boot sale, etc. When attempting to wind/set, watch did not operate, thus "needs repairing" statement would be applicable. The 'ask seller a question' would be in order if you're not sure. Hard to say if seller meant for spare parts. Nice project watch, good luck with diagnosis and repair!

Dave

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

According to Elgin database, it's a model 92, 16s, 11 jewel,  with 150K mfg, This contradicts plate on yours that says "17 jewel" , also checked pocketwatchdatabase.com, their search was about the same. There should be plenty of parts around on the bay. Sometimes sellers list "need repairing" without really knowing what's wrong.

According to Elgin database, it's a model 92, 16s, 11 jewel,  with 150K mfg, This contradicts plate on yours that says "17 jewel" , also checked pocketwatchdatabase.com, their search was about the same. There should be plenty of parts around on the bay. Sometimes sellers list "need repairing" without really knowing what's wrong.

What would that contradiction indicate? It's already containing components from different watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have an Elgin service manual with a section on parts interchangeability, if that might come in handy. (I'm not ready to give up the manual, but I would be happy to look up something for you and send you a picture of the page with the information.)

Shirley

1 hour ago, CLS said:

What would that contradiction indicate? It's already containing components from different watches?

Just saying that all I could find on searching by serial number said it was 11 jewel, That is why I searched on two different sources, I doubt that it has been cobbled together. Sincerest apologies, I did not mean to imply it wasn't right...:blink:, hope someone like sperki77 can assist on this one, I'll be the first one to admit, I don't know Elgins and will temper my enthusiasm to help in the future. Took a quick look in the Shugart watch guide and could not find anything in model 92  in either 11 or 17j.

I also have an Elgin service manual with a section on parts interchangeability, if that might come in handy. (I'm not ready to give up the manual, but I would be happy to look up something for you and send you a picture of the page with the information.)

Shirley

Thanks a lot for the offer I will keep this in mind!

Just saying that all I could find on searching by serial number said it was 11 jewel, That is why I searched on two different sources, I doubt that it has been cobbled together. Sincerest apologies, I did not mean to imply it wasn't right...:blink:, hope someone like sperki77 can assist on this one, I'll be the first one to admit, I don't know Elgins and will temper my enthusiasm to help in the future. Took a quick look in the Shugart watch guide and could not find anything in model 92  in either 11 or 17j.

Not at all, Dave! My knowledge at this point is nil, I was just curious if that discrepancy raised any flags. Thank you for the input

Well I successfully took it apart, and I'm not sure of the terminology but: when (while the watch is open) I turn the crown, nothing is spun. And those two screws that hold the housing of the stem/crown I couldn't get to move. When I manually pushed on the first wheel coming off the stem with a screwdriver, it along with all the other wheels turned, including the mainspring barrel arbor.b6395252b1efa60d151dd4a6b49bc6a5.jpgb076d6e9bf727b1cd362901460ee72b1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of interchangeability, what specs should I look for in a watch? Model, size, and jewel count? 

Or is more of a 'part by part' deal, where I would want to ask Shirley or consult a manual? 

Btw, the above pictures were clearly not a success, I know this now. I can take the movement all the way out of the case now though lol...