Videos Are Great! Which Camcorder?

Hello everyone.

I am new to horology and just getting started.  I am starting with pocket watches as recommended by many people.  It's also been recommended that I video-record my dissassembly of movements so that if I forget some little detail, I can reference the video.

Mark, your videos posted on YouTube are great!  High quality sound and picture.  I watch them (sometimes several times) religously because your methods and techniques are so informative and easitly digested.  Real grace in action!

My question to Mark, and anyone else who would like to pipe in:  What is the video camera you use that generates those nice, clear, YouTube close-up videos?  Please - Any pointers for setup of the camera?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry I can't help you regarding video cameras, although I'm sure Mark has a post buried in the forum someplace about the subject. Try using the search facility.

As an ageing amateur, I use a still camera and take HD photos of the strip down, in particular some of the more complicated parts in chronometers. I personally think still photography is a better way to go for reference as it's easier to study when required.

Another thing that I do is to is to keep all the little sub assemblies and screws separate. I do this by placing them in small containers. These are kept in a order in a box and when cleaning, I only clean one containers worth at a time. It takes a bit longer, but screws and parts stay together and order of disassembly is maintained.

Reassembly is pretty much a reversal.

Here is a picture of one of my parts boxes.

post-124-0-88349100-1404197037_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff,

I bought a digital microscope from ebay which I use a lot. One area this helps well is in checking the locking and unlocking of the pallet forks..

Plus points is you can save the image in your computer directly...

Bad points is woe betide you if you loos a part in the keyboard..!

Anil

Hello everyone!  Thank you for the great replies.

Yes, I had indeed searched the forums before I posted, but I did not find any specific camcorder model information.  Searching the forum with "video" and "camcorder" didn't reveal anything.  Even the link that Geo indicated (which I had found earlier) has still-camera models, audio-recorders, and a reference to a Sony HD for music videos.  Nothing specific for close-up videos.

It's hard to tell, while in the store, if a particular model will get "close-up enough" yet still provide space for working on the movement - which is why I asked for specifics.

I've tried stills before and I find them more cumbersome to manage afterward due to the many files, and invariably the detail I need is lost because it was "between shots".  A video cam is the way to go for me.  I guess I'll figure it out.

Thanks to all.

Jeff