Uk Supplier For Complete Set Of Components Please

I have been tinkering for a couple of months now and decided to have a shot at assembling a watch from scratch.

I bought a set of component parts/sub assemblies from Otto Frei which they seem to sell specifically for people like me at beginner level so you can learn how to assemble a (quartz) watch.

See the resulting watch attached.

Their options include cases, movements, case rings, faces, hour and minute hands and choice of second hands plus a range of straps/bracelets. Each item is cross referenced so it is fairly easy to identify which items are compatible with each other.

I was wondering if there is a UK supplier who provides a similar service?

I use Cousins UK but have found that you need to know exactly what specification each item is as they are not so easily cross referenced as the Otto Frei site.

Any help will be very much appreciated,

Bern

post-204-0-76353700-1404146787_thumb.jpg

ro63rto,

I am sure Cousins have everything I want unfortunately my problem at this stage is lack of knowledge and experience which makes it difficult for me to create a kit of parts. e.g. the other week I bought a movement and a set of hands but forgot I needed a battery and specific second hand. Otto Frei just seem to make the whole process a lot easier for people like me. I find their web site easier to use as there are links which take you from one component to another associated one so choosing compatible parts is simpler for me. Just my thoughts and observations as a novice.

Bobm12,

Thank you. As this was my first build I was much relieved that it all fitted together well, looked OK and kept working. :)

I used the Ronda 515SW for no particular reason other than they recommended it. I was also interested to find out whether I could use a movement with a day wheel together with a dial that didn't have the appropriate window. At the moment it is still keeping time and working well.

Bern

You are welcome Bern. As for the day feature, the Ronda 517 comes to mind. It has day and date and comes in the same size of the Ronda 515. The dial can be had at the same place (offrei) but with the appropriate window, same diameter 28.5 mm and all. It is possible too to use the existing dial but of course the day will not be visible which defeats the purpose of the whole thing anyway.

By the way, I've seen some Swiss watches, probably mass produced, where the manufacturer use one movement with many complications in all their watches (buying in quantity?) but their different models show only a few, hiding the rest of the features from the user. The "Swiss Army" using the ETA 2846 is an example, for date or day/date models.

I think that when looking at this kind of built, it is most important to check the total height of the movement and the stem alignment with the case tube. Needless to say that the ligne or "diameter" of the movement also play a role once you leave Otto Frei's umbrella. Also, some dials may have a different distance from the center to the day/date window making it tricky to find a movement that centers correctly but normally you won't have much trouble if the case and dial fit each other since there is always an inexpensive movement that can fit. Remember, as long as the movement fits inside the case, size is not terribly important considering that those plastic rings or movement holders are your best friends. You can trim them to size to hold the movement in place inside the case.

In any case, you probably know all this but I couldn't resist and have it all here in a nutshell. I normally try to find used or not so used cases an dials that I like (may remove writing with alcohol if necessary) and combine them with a movement somehow for a quick rewarding moment...I then may keep them or sell them after a while.... :)

bobm12 & WRT,

Thank you both.

bob - This is where forums such as this are so important in helping people like me to keep going/improving.

I enjoy working with detail and mechanics together with anything that has a creative element but without guidance it can become very expensive/frustrating working things out by trial and error.

For the next Offrei project I'll try a Ronda 517 and a dial with the window as I have given the one in the photo to my son for his 20th birthday. When I get some more time I am going to have a go at engraving the case cover with a design he likes.

Swiss Army watches

I'll see if I can find one of these and take a look inside. Do you have a link I could use please?

I have already bought a few cheap Chinese watches, e.g. Infantry, to look inside and get some idea of how they are assembled.

I appreciate how basic these watches are when I can buy a whole watch and get it delivered for the price of a decent movement. When people complain about these watches I do wonder what they expected for the price?

Plastic case rings

Early on I started to understand that these were key in enabling me to use a range of movements. So I bought a set of assorted sizes from Cousins. Then had to find a ligne chart to work out which was which as the Cousins charts was numbered 1 - 50 but the rings weren't. Then I found that I had to cut/sand down/drill out most of these "common sizes" which again was a bit exasperating. But at least I learned whenever possible  to ensure I got a case ring of the right size to accept the movement and fit inside the case I was using.

Thank you,

Bern

Hi Bern,

I noticed about those swiss army watches when I opened them. I bought 2 when looking for ....Seikos! In any case, I bought them from "thewatchcollector", ramon, in the bay. His watches are junk and sold for parts but I figured I could make at least a good one out of 3 and I was right...I got 3 of his 7S26es and I was able to finish one mint movement. I'm half way through the second, also coming out in very good to excellent condition (I inspect all parts, clean them and inspect again, use the unblemished ones, oil and assembly, double check...). After I'm done with Seiko I'll check the swiss ones.

Hello Bob,

It's a small world!

I have bought a rough and ready Seiko 4205 from Ramon a few weeks ago. A very helpful chap to deal with. I am not yet up to repairing movements - although that is my aim. So I am waiting for a Hattori NH05 to be supplied by Cousins UK as I understand it is compatible with the 4205.

I like your method of taking 3 to make a good one. Sounds like what I used to do with motorbikes when I was younger. :)

Thank you for sharing the ideas and contact,

Bern

You are welcome Bern, I know what you mean about the bikes. I used to watch my neighbor doing that when I was a kid and that set me into mechanics....I ended up taken away by the computer revolution! But now I'm fulfilling my mechanical interest with watches. The NH05 sounds like a great idea. Please, post a pic when you finish your built. I imagine you are going to refinish the case and other components too (hands, dial, etc.) I'd love to hear about the whole process. I know that coming from Ramon you will have to be a magician to infuse new life to his stuff.

I'll share about my seikos too only I'm taking my time. The second movement I was rebuilding had to come apart one more time, I didn't spot, on time, the pallet fork jewel was defective (I chose one that seemed very clean and now I realize I should have used the other plate!) Lesson learned, the second choice plate doesn't look that "shiny" but is in better shape! So back to the starting point. I'll still manage to fix all three of 'em given time.

By the way, the name on the Swiss watches is "Swiss Military" not Army. I got confused with the name since they have the same cross on the dial. Not to be confused with Victorinox or Wenger.

Robert

Robert,

In former lives I worked with IBM S34/36/38s, Series 1, UNIX/AIX systems, PCs and networks so I can relate to your career diversions. My last job before one was part of a team implementing a £4M print and mail operation based around RS6000s producing transactional and marketing mailings. Then redundancy. Then QA and health & safety for a bomb disposal group. Then redundancy.

Now self employed professional gardener with an increasingly keen interest in watches. :)

Happy 4th of July,

Bern