Poljot 3133 Sturmanskie Chronograph Restoration Project

Now it is time to show some pics... This is the complete disassembly procedure, or at least my way of doing it. I am posting the most important pictures here, to be able to reassemble the movement going backwards.

Let's tart with the case back, that features a retention ring. I have seen this in many Poljots...

Poljot_3133_Sturmanskie_Chronograph_001.jpg

Poljot_3133_Sturmanskie_Chronograph_006.jpg

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

The keyless works was also easy and straightforward to remove. All the parts are now submerged in lighter fluid, getting ready for a cycle in the cleaning machine. I will then proceed to reassemble the movement, after cleaning the case. BTW, the case is stainless steel and has little to no scratches.

Poljot_3133_Sturmanskie_Chronograph_271.jpg

After a bit more fiddling with the balance wheel, I discovered that the lower tip had broken off. This is presumably the reason why the balance wheel does not move freely even with the shims applied, and presents so much endshake.

In the attached image, the balance on the right comes from another Poljot 3133 chronograph I just received from Russia (more on that later) with intact pivots.

Poljot_3133_balance_wheel_001.jpg

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Takling the hairspring is another issue altogether. Comparing it with the "healthy" hairspring from the other Poljot 3133, you can clearly see how bad it was bent. And mind you also the "healthy" hairspring was slightly bent, having the end turn (how do you call that?) too curved outwards. I managed to straighten that one just fine, and you can see the result in the picture. I just hope I will be able to fix also the one belonging to the Sturmanskie...

Poljot_3133_balance_wheel_003.jpg

Now the question is: should I try and repair the badly bent hairspring or just replace it with the healthier one?

Me being me, I will first try to fix the hairspring, and if I am not successful, I will replace it, while sourcing another one. Wish me luck!

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

I don't know whether you have seen Marks bit on straightening hair springs and it may be that unlike myself you already possess the skill, but if you need it the vid is quite illuminating. Best of luck but I do feel you are going to win this one.
Cheers,
Vic

• Like 1