Replacement of Impulse Jewel on 1895 Elgin

@jdrichard I have just had a rummage through my amazing box of spares (referred to by the Wifey as "just another one of my boxes of junk") and dug out a box of assorted round garnet pins. After some fun and games with my micrometer I have found one which measures between 0.45mm and 0.47mm depending on which micrometer I use (the better mic has it at 0.457mm). It is just under 3mm long and will need the ends dressing up on a diamond hone.

If it is any use to you then if you pm me your address and I will pop it in the post.

• Like 1

@jdrichard I have just had a rummage through my amazing box of spares (referred to by the Wifey as "just another one of my boxes of junk") and dug out a box of assorted round garnet pins. After some fun and games with my micrometer I have found one which measures between 0.45mm and 0.47mm depending on which micrometer I use (the better mic has it at 0.457mm). It is just under 3mm long and will need the ends dressing up on a diamond hone.

If it is any use to you then if you pm me your address and I will pop it in the post.

Can you email me at [email protected] and I will forward you my Canadian address. I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still interested, email me at [email protected] please and I forward you my mining address etc.

One of our biggest problems in watch repair is finding parts. But the things like jewels we have modern replacements unfortunately they don't visually looks like jewels found in the plates of antique pocket watches. Then forroller jewels will conceivably be too short. This means you either have to find a ancient assortment a roller jewels which you'll probably find is missing all the long ones or a generic assortment to go through.

One of the questions that came up was length and if we work the problem differently we get an answer for that approximately. So serial number gets us the grade number grade number gets us the number for the roller jewel. Then the second link you can enter in the grade number get all the parts for this watch there's a note that the roller jewels very by diameter and a reference that single rollers are longer which isn't overly helpful. But image out of 1915 Elgin parts book we get an approximate length.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/5649505

Grade: 73

Jewels: Roller Jewel     559

http://www.elginwatchparts.com/

Elgin 1915 roller.JPG

• Like 1

One of our biggest problems in watch repair is finding parts. But the things like jewels we have modern replacements unfortunately they don't visually looks like jewels found in the plates of antique pocket watches. Then forroller jewels will conceivably be too short. This means you either have to find a ancient assortment a roller jewels which you'll probably find is missing all the long ones or a generic assortment to go through.

One of the questions that came up was length and if we work the problem differently we get an answer for that approximately. So serial number gets us the grade number grade number gets us the number for the roller jewel. Then the second link you can enter in the grade number get all the parts for this watch there's a note that the roller jewels very by diameter and a reference that single rollers are longer which isn't overly helpful. But image out of 1915 Elgin parts book we get an approximate length.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/5649505

Grade: 73

Jewels: Roller Jewel     559

http://www.elginwatchparts.com/

Elgin 1915 roller.JPG

Thank you very much. I did order one from Dave's watch parts and will proceed to shellac it in place. I will measure it first of course and based on your data assess if I just waisted 10 bucks or not. This is 15 bucks Canadian for me:)

5 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Would these be D type jewels?

despite the hole being round as far as I know the jewel is a D shape.

I was trying to remember which book has the pictures of the other roller jewel shapes. I was hoping for a clue when they switched from round for instance to D shape. then there were other shapes besides round and D shape.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Apart from the mentioned shapes the only other one that I can think of is the oval shape.

So found the book with an image as you can see the standard familiar D shapes jewel. What's interesting I don't see a round one? But they have an oval jewel but call it a elliptical.  I knew there was a weird shape the three cornered jewel. So  rather amusing reading I'm attaching the paragraph describing the jewels.

weird roller.JPG

weird roller 2.JPG

despite the hole being round as far as I know the jewel is a D shape.

I was trying to remember which book has the pictures of the other roller jewel shapes. I was hoping for a clue when they switched from round for instance to D shape. then there were other shapes besides round and D shape.

I have seen oval

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the walkthrough. This is actually something I may need to do here soon possibly. I have an Elgin 554 movement with a broken impulse jewel. I was thinking about just buying a donor movement and replace the entire balance, but I am not sure how this would affect the timing. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed the walkthrough. This is actually something I may need to do here soon possibly. I have an Elgin 554 movement with a broken impulse jewel. I was thinking about just buying a donor movement and replace the entire balance, but I am not sure how this would affect the timing. 

Just get the jewel, the shellac, the combination tool to hold the roller and dive it. Assuming you have a staking set.

• Like 1