Building My New Watch Repair Workshop.

Mark

I used to use audacity a lot to clean up recordings. The noise removal is excellent in audacity. These days I have a quality mic pre-amp and a focusrite Scarlett interface, and between them the noise is pretty much eliminated which means I don't really need audacity any more. I still have it installed though just in case. And I use Logic as my DAW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Audacity for years - it's a very useful tool. I use it primarily after I've done an acoustic recording on my Zoom H2 and then uploaded it to my Mac Book Pro. I use Audacity to raise the amplification level if the wave output is too flat, and also to "top and tail" the recording so that it starts and stops cleanly.

Then I pop the cleaned-up file into Garageband - a multi-tracking utility bundled with the Mac OS - which allows me to vary the EQ, sound levels and Pan on any track. It also has instrument loops which can be used as backing tracks, and these can be edited for key, tempo and rhythm.

Just think - 20 years ago I would have had to go into a recording studio to do all this, at some horrendous cost. Now it's all within my own grasp.

Edited by WillFly

I feel silly now about the compressor, but as you say, the scuba tank will be great, nice and quiet, and will save me around €240 euros per annum.

Also it will be dry, air from a compressor contains a lot of moisture unless it is filtered out.

The nice thing about Audacity, apart from the noise removal which is excellent, is that it is free and accepts plug ins for mp3 and other...industrial quality in a nice packet that can be used in most operating systems!

I made a start on glueing the laminate today - damn that glue stinks, will I legally be allowed to drive later?!

Probably not. Many moons ago I was spraying a motorbike engine in a closed up shed, half hour later I was levitating & felt great, another hour after that I had the worst headache ever. I think that the modern stuff is a lot better than it used to be but beware, before you know it you will turn into a spotty faced youth with truculence issues.

Looking forward to the final results Mark, as this threads tuning into the biggest epic since Ben Hur.

Had to chop the lighting clamp in half and drill it so it could be secured to the bench with two screws. No space to clamp it otherwise. But it worked out well.

6bd702c486074cbf30a698d731723e80.jpg8f257679a19929e468f507dac49bbabd.jpg

Thanks to geo for letting us know about the lamp :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent work! I love the color and the distribution. Are you going to add a rim around the work area to stop fliers? Although I would say Mark, you are probably way past the flier stage! :)

Regardless, a couple of nurses will go very well with the place!!! They sell light green lingerie to be used as their uniforms that will go well with the new shop! :)

• Like 1

Thought I would give it a test run today. The height of the bench is perfect for me - no more bent back, this is really good.

Unfortunately it feels very strange not working on a bergeon work mat, in fact it feels like i'm doing something naughty! New one on order :)

Here's a couple more pics:

post-1-0-91442300-1426070889_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-30943500-1426070890_thumb.jpg

I could prolly increase the light in the room by another 20% when I clean all the dust off the windows :D

• Like 5