Timex Forum?

I've recently encountered the world of Timex watches.  As everyone knows they are still in production and the new Timex watches are all quartz.   But the line goes back decades.  I myself have bags of discarded Timexes.  Been fiddling with them recently.  I've had a few flops but I'm surprised as how robust they are.  Even my paws seem sufficient to revive some of them.  Recently spent a pleasant half-day working on an old 50-60's era men's mechanical.  Polished the case, buffed the crystal, did a partial disassembly of the movement, popped the whole thing into the cleaner.  Came out looking like a new watch.  Put the balance back in (and made a bit of a mess of it) and it works.  Seems to keep good time in spite of my faux pas (paws!).  It would be fun to get a bag of watches working again.

Anyone know how to service the Timex Electric; the analog mechanical watch coupled to a solenoid (or something like it) which was used to provide a push to the balance to provide timing and energy.  I have several.  They look like they'd work but I doubt they would with modern batteries. (???)

I've perused several threads here from like minded individuals who, like me, love these humble little pieces that lack all pretense yet "do their duty" faithfully.  How can we share information?  I really would like some tips/tricks/gadgets etc. that would make restoration easier and safer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There have been several Timex forums over the years, the current incarnation is here -

The New Timex Forum

This is a general forum, not specific to repair.

The owner (Mel) is battling ill health at the moment. Since the forum is set for moderator approval of new posts, it can take some time for them to appear. 

I am sharing some Timex documents, including repair manuals,  here -

Timex Documents

As far as sharing repair/restoration info,tips,and tricks, right here might be the best place that I know of, just ask!

Edited by dadistic
update
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

ah the Timex Electric is a fantastic series of models.  The first tip I can advise is to get a can of CRC QD Elecrtic Cleaner.

This is used to clean the contact point which makes and breaks to the balance staff. You than follow with applying lube to pivot points and the train area near the battery compartment.

Noting you location as York Pa reminds me of the once in a life time opportunity I had to acquire a mega load of vintage Timex watches.  These had belonged to a gentleman named Fred Symthe who had worked at Timex and specialized in the "Electric" watches.  More of that to come in future posts.

Also as an introduction of myself, - I was a member of the "second" Timex forum on Network54.  That is where I learned and shared many years of vintage Timex repair.

Here are a few recent restores that I applied the above technique to.

DSC05260.JPG

• Like 3

I know it is a very common thought that Timex produced watches for a short duration of service.  But after having handle thousands of them over some 8 years now, I an more apt to think they were more focused on cost savings.  After all they designed their movements to be what would latter be called upwardly compatible in computer jargon.

For example they take the #24 movement modify it some and now it is the #25 with date ring. take that same base 24 add a rotor and you have an automatic.  Plus the metal used was a benefit of having manufactured for the US military.  Light weight and durable plus an over sized balance staff that can stand up for who knows how long.

And even though the watch cases were base metal they stood up for years even as an everyday working man's watch.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone 

I have a really pristine Timex electric, but the  movement is decidedly less so - mybwatchmaker has declared it dead.  Does anyone know who might sell a Timex Movement 871?

Other watch details are:
Made in France
BS 1259:1958
Model 84/85
M.O.P I.S. 1527
F.I.I.S. 6018

Thank you all in advance!

On 9/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Daverooni said:

Hello everyone 

I have a really pristine Timex electric, but the  movement is decidedly less so - mybwatchmaker has declared it dead.  Does anyone know who might sell a Timex Movement 871?

Other watch details are:
Made in France
BS 1259:1958
Model 84/85
M.O.P I.S. 1527
F.I.I.S. 6018

Thank you all in advance!

871?   or do you mean a model 87 which is the electronic version of the model 84?   And where is that other informaion stamped on?

871?   or do you mean a model 87 which is the electronic version of the model 84?   And where is that other informaion stamped on?

Hi JerseyMo
I finally figured out how to add photos here [emoji851] thanks for your question. It’s a Timex Electric, not Electronic, which I understand was a later model. The movement is stamped 871, the outside caseback gives the model # as 84/85. If you are able to date this one, I’d appreciate it. The Timex date codes confound me a bit. With gratitude 21184b8f74416ff6a137733b7b83f0c3.jpg952a53b2fe0347dd085a6339275afc97.jpg3fad81ee2b52d4c136f6ad5516bf6be2.jpg266fae744741b51071c3d9b07e282c32.jpg98ea5547a629e10d744060a04f0c21e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, Daverooni said:

Interesting, thank you! I will see if that can be repaired!!

yes, that can be repaired but..... you will need to soruce either a donor movement or an NOS part.  but before you go thru all of that.  you may want to ohm out the coil on the balance to check it has not opened.  If so than that must be addresses as well.

• 2 months later...

Hi, looks like the new (in 2017) timex forum is down. Seems this post has been recently updated! Wound up with a '78 timex with the 24 movmt to learn about. for instance, tips to get the caseback off if you removed the rubber oring that was preventing you from getting the caseback back on! or where to source replacement crystal. Thanks for your time!

• 3 weeks later...

Just 'discovered' the early Timex electrics, I've got five up and running now (Model 40 and derivatives), currently waiting for this rather novel example to arrive...

vYq6QyR.jpg

seems a bit scarce, cant find anything about it on the internet, just pictures of two other examples, one chrome and the other gold..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vinn3 said:

there were several electric watches before timex.  hamilton electric is one.   i have an early Gerard.  it has the same battery as timex.     vin

Hi Vin,

I was aware that Timex were not the first and that Hamilton hold that 'honour' with their 'Electric 500' model, in 1957, which wasn't ready for production despite 11 years of development since conception in 1946.

It did however spur Timex to get on the band wagon and as they hadn't got an electric watch in development themselves, decided to purchase a company that did. They bought 'Lanco', who apparently had an electric movement in development, but that also turned out to be not ready for production and first appeared in a Timex watch, as the model 67, in 1962, the MUCH simpler, (and surprisingly long lived), model 40, not appearing till about 1967.

Sadly  my funds do not run to an early Hamilton electric, but I do have this Talis Swissonic...

JOpSBDh.jpg

A couple of Citizen Cosmotrons.....

oazxhHC.jpg

A Seiko EL330........

azde77Y.jpg

And this rather nice 'Sheffield' with a Junghans movement, from 1969....

xCt3zUS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Hi Vin,

I was aware that Timex were not the first and that Hamilton hold that 'honour' with their 'Electric 500' model, in 1957, which wasn't ready for production despite 11 years of development since conception in 1946.

It did however spur Timex to get on the band wagon and as they hadn't got an electric watch in development themselves, decided to purchase a company that did. They bought 'Lanco', who apparently had an electric movement in development, but that also turned out to be not ready for production and first appeared in a Timex watch, as the model 67, in 1962, the MUCH simpler, (and surprisingly long lived), model 40, not appearing till about 1967.

Sadly  my funds do not run to an early Hamilton electric, but I do have this Talis Swissonic...

JOpSBDh.jpg

A couple of Citizen Cosmotrons.....

oazxhHC.jpg

A Seiko EL330........

azde77Y.jpg

And this rather nice 'Sheffield' with a Junghans movement, from 1969....

xCt3zUS.jpg

good post and pic,s.    did they all have the same battery?   vin

No Vin, but they all run on modern Silver Oxide 1.55v cells, you just have to match the physical size to a battery that will fit in the watch, being  careful not to get one that is fractionally too thick.....

I forgot to mention the model 84 Timex (Timex update on the Lanco movement, also with back crown), that I have.

lWPetMa.jpg

KHByags.jpg

The current electro mechanical collection, I'm going to have to get a BIGGER box!.....

VULdP0t.jpg

• Like 1

Well the rather quirky blue dialled model 41 watch arrived today and as expected it wasn't running.:unsure: A quick strip down led me to believe that the coil on the balance was at fault. Sadly my only spare balance is from a model 253, which runs at 28,000bph instead of the 21,600bph of the model 40, so I cannibalised one of my other model 40 watches and swapped over the balance assemblies. Diagnosis correct, 'new' watch now runs and 'old' one doesn't.

xBs1cY7.jpg

I regulated the new watch and will leave that one as it is, now searching for a 'cosmetically challenged' model 40, with a good balance assembly, to resurrect the watch that donated to this one. :thumbsu:

• Like 1

Just an FYI that the Electronic print on the dial identifies that watch as a model 51.  What makes it different than a model 41 is the inclusion of a diode in the balance assembly.  Lanco?    no you mean to say Laco as being the company Timex purchsed for the battery operated watches?

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2019 at 4:37 PM, LameBMX said:

Hi, looks like the new (in 2017) timex forum is down. Seems this post has been recently updated! Wound up with a '78 timex with the 24 movmt to learn about. for instance, tips to get the caseback off if you removed the rubber oring that was preventing you from getting the caseback back on! or where to source replacement crystal. Thanks for your time!

I was a long time member of the previous Timex forum to which I owe much gradtitude. So I am always happy to help with vintage US Time \ Timex as best I can.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

Just an FYI that the Electronic print on the dial identifies that watch as a model 51.  What makes it different than a model 41 is the inclusion of a diode in the balance assembly.  Lanco?    no you mean to say Laco as being the company Timex purchsed for the battery operated watches?

Cheers Mo, of course 'Laco', a typo on my part ( a 'senior' moment :biggrin:). Must admit I hadn't thought about the 'Electronic' dial print. Is the diode in the balance assembly or the contact block ? I have seen that the plastic part of these can come in different colours. If it is in the balance, then purely out of luck I have fitted the correct balance as the watch that I 'borrowed' it from is this one....

12QrVP0.jpg

The balance looked the same as other ones that I have removed and re-fitted from other 'Electric' watches, the only ones that appear very different are in the 'Dynabeat' movements , where the balance wheel is very different in shape and the coil is physically larger and a very bright coppery colour.

I found out, again by trial and error, that a non Dynabeat watch will 'run' with a Dynabeat balance, but of course it runs much faster as the balance is running at 28,000bph and the movement is geared for 21,600bph. I suppose swapping the 'seconds' wheel might 'cure' this?

Sadly most of the cheap 'spares' watches are in the USA and eBay's wonderful Global Shipping system makes them VERY expensive to send to the UK. :growl:

I have another couple of UK sourced spares watches coming soon, so hopefully I can get the cannibalised 'Electronic' one running again and possibly another to add to the collection.

• Similar Content