Loose Movement In The Case

I received a vintage watch attached for a service. The movement is sitting loosely inside the case. I am looking for advice on how to fix the movement in the case so that it doesn't move around. 

Thanks guys,

Ferdinand

post-23-0-85054500-1403819793_thumb.jpg

Hi Ferdinand,

As Blacklab says, you need a movement holder. Check what ligne is the movement by measuring its diameter in mm and converting that measurement (1 ligne = 2.256 mm). Then you know what holder assortment to get. They can be trimmed with scissors or filed down around the edges to get a tight fit inside the case. Alternatively, you can get Speedi-fit putty and build a holder but I think this product is more expensive.

Robert

• 1 month later...

Tried to find a movement ring that fits and it's proven to be quite tricky. The movement size is 12 Ligne (around 26.6mm).

I checked Cousins and Esslinger, they have 11.5 Ligne and 13 Ligne, but not 12 Ligne.

I bought the 11.5 and it's just too small. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to make a cut in the 11.5 ring and ease it out wider to fit? There would be a small gap at one  point, but it wouldn't affect the overall tightness.

You could possible use a jeweller's ring sizing rod - which tapers - to gently widen the movement ring.

• Like 1

If you need a cheap bodge...

get an o-ring that fits the groove, this will hold the movement central. What is important is the thickness of the o-ring, it can be cut to fit the circumference.

Second thing is to ensure distance from dial to caseback.. In this case you need to fabricate at least 4 pieces of 'L' shaped feet out of sheet metal. this will sit between the movement and the aforementioned o-ring with the feet of the metal bit under the o-ring, bend the tips out ward a bit to have the spring affect. This will ensure that the dial sits snugly in the case.

This will not work with watches where the movement is fixed to the movement ring and the movement ring itself determines the spacing of the movt with respect to the dial but in your case it should work fine.

This may horrify a lot of you but it works. I have people come to me with watches and when I tell them it'll cost xxx amount for parts  (plus one month wait) they will just stay thanks but no thanks. I have done the above and told them what I did and they're perfectly happy. 

Mostly its guys who just want to get a family hand-me-down running for occasional wear.. so cost is important. The last one I did this for was a Certina, the original spacer was a rubber/plastic thingy which I could not find...owner had no intention to use the watch regularly and accepted my solution and the fact that waterproofing would be non-existing (he wanted to keep the original crown)....

Basically you have to think about how the watch will be used. I have one collector who regularly brings me watches with the instruction that only the balance pivots are to be oiled. All other pivots are to be left 'dry'. The reason is he has too many watches to wear and he has found out the hard way that if not used watches will not work due to the oil gumming up. Watches will run 'dry' and since they will only see less than a days wear in a year .. well its his watch anyway..! I originally wrote 'not oiled' on the inside caseback for future watchmakers reference but he has since instructed me to desist! This guy is an enigma....retired and drives an old Mercedes and regularly (sometimes twice monthly) brings me higher end watches which he has acquired. This has been going on for the last 20 years or so and I believe the watches are local, not off ebay so I really don't know where he gets them he just smiles and says 'contacts' when I ask him. His daughter says he has at least a thousand watches..!

Anil

Anil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...