Hello all!!

LostManAbroad

I have decided to join your community to learn from people with more knowledge than myself. I have always liked pocketwatches but never really tried messing around with the workings of one. Recently though, I was given an old Seiko wrist watch that was my grandfather's. It is a very nice watch but It has sat in a cupboard for the last 20 years and surprise, surprise, it does not tell the time very well. 

I took it to a watch repair shop and was told it would be at least 250 Euros to take it apart clean all the parts and then lubricate it and put it back together again. And that is only if there were no broken parts to replace. I will probably get hold of an old autmatic watch and take tht apart first as I would not want to be responsible for ruining my Grandfather's watch. I look forward to getting advice from you all once Christmas is over and I decide to get started.

Hi buddy!

I just joined a day ago, and have taken apart and re-assembled (twice in a day because I did not re-assemble one of the components correctly the first time) one of my spare Seiko 7009s from the 90s. There are many pictorial guides from fellow members on this forum as well as videos on Youtube for most models - Seikos included.

Not as difficult as I imagined; as long as you have the correct tools - case opener, miniature screw-drivers, tweezers, etc and especially a good loupe or desktop magnifier and good lighting.

Quite difficult to break any parts, really; easier to lose them, though due to their size (especially when they flick off your tweeer, etc). A work area under-lined by cloth (or equivalent) helps immensely as I have found.

250 Euros is more than a good reason to get started on this, for sure!

Which model might your grandfather's watch be? This can be found on the case back usually in xxxx-xxxx format.

Cheers!

Lost Man Abroad,

When you see a seasoned professional like Mark Lovick disassembling, diagnosing, cleaning, reassembling, testing and adjusting a watch, don't be fooled into thinking that the process is as straight forward  as it appears in the videos. It takes a lot of study and practice, and more practice, and more practice to achieve any measure of success. Start by studying everything you can about how watches work. Learn how a mechanical watch is divided into six groups:

1) The power unit.

2)The winding mechanism.

3)The wheel train.

4)The escapement.

5)The dial train.

6)The setting mechanism.

Once you can understand how these systems work and what the components do, purchase some inexpensive practice watches. and practice on them. I have bought many of these from Uncle Larry's Watch Shop and have also practiced on Chinese knock offs of ETA movements. Ebay often has collections of non working watches for sale. 

When you take the practice watches apart, separate them into each group (system) identify each piece and document where they went as well as their orientation. Do not be fooled into thinking that when a professional takes a watch apart, throws the parts all over the bench and reassembles the watch with no mistakes, that you can do the same thing. If you try it this way you will get a quick lesson in frustration. 

david 

LMA,

As David mentioned, watching the videos, the pros make it look easy, but some details Are not mentioned in the videos such as fitment of the pivots on the jewels, etc.

This guide by Nicholas Hacko is amazing :

http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/

What really helped me, apart from understanding the functions of the different groups, is also the installation details (alignment, axial movement, etc). Although the guide refers to a 7S26, the concepts are the same.

Admittedly, there was some frustration during my re-assembling process but the joy of discovering how it all works more than makes up for it ten-fold!

Good luck with the watch and I hope it brings you joy - both during and after the repair process!

Hello LMA and welcome,

250 € , now that's an incentive !

Could I suggest that you get a working cheap Watch from an auction site like the bay and restrict to a simple one with just the three hands and no date etc. and start with that. Take a pic on your phone or something before and after each component is removed so you have a reference for re-assembly.

cheers Vic