Improved Instruction for Lesser Known Balance Staff Remover

I had a staking set given to me by a watchmaker friend when I first started my hobby. In it was a slightly more uncommon balance staff removing punch. We are probably all familiar with the K&D style shown here: 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

The style I have is different and looks like this: 

Displaying image.png

This image was borrowed from the Chicago Watchmaking Course, and is the only time I have seen the style I use in print. The instructions with this image say to snug the nut up to the bottom of the staking set arm. to "keep the balance from moving". Funny since the roller is in a snug hole below, does the balance have to be secured?

I have found this to be incorrect. My method is this:

Displaying image.png

By snugging the nut over the balance wheel you can limit the travel of the punch, make sure the distance between A and C is less than the width of the balance wheel and the punch will never come in contact with the balance wheel arm. For most wheels I set the nut flush with the bottom of the threaded punch tube. The punch punches out the staff and never touches the arm no matter how hard I strike it. 

image.png

image (1).png

This was the first type of remover i had purchased, it was sized for pocket watches. if i recall there is a user on youtube called something like "bunns special" he showes you how to use this tool.

Please bear in mind her works naked and swears every now and then :startle:

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...
On 12/23/2016 at 3:02 PM, jnash said:

This was the first type of remover i had purchased, it was sized for pocket watches. if i recall there is a user on youtube called something like "bunns special" he showes you how to use this tool.

Please bear in mind her works naked and swears every now and then :startle:

Yep. Familiar with Bunny and his "profanity" lol