Same Amplitude Wildly different rates?????

tomprobkins

Question

Here is my puzzle. I have a watch that I am working on. A Hamilton 987. It has been cleaned and oiled and demagnetized. When I run it on the timing machine the horizontal rates and the pendant down rate are all close and about +/- 4s/day. When I move it to pendant left things get weird. It has the same amplitude but the daily rate goes way off the chart -98s/day or something, also the beat error goes from 0.5ms to 0.0ms.

The hairspring is running unobstructed, and he regulator fingers are adjusted correctly.

How can this happen? How can a wheel spinning at the same amplitude produce such a wildly different rate? And how does the beat error change with the position change like that? 

Thoughts? 

Thanks 
Rob 

4 answers to this question

Normally when the hairspring touches a part it runs faster not slower. It might be a train wheel issue i.e. binding ion certain positions. You will have to check the end shakes of the wheels & also check the jewels for damage.

I referenced the hairspring not touching to show that it isn't touching in the faster position and "letting loose" when it runs much slower. The Jewels have all been check and are in great shape, not chips on the hole jewels and no pits on the caps. I will check the end and sideshake when I get home. Thank you for the suggestion.

Could it be very badly poised? But then I suppose you'd expect it to change performance with respect to horizontal when in crown-right position.

I would have maybe expected an amplitude change if any of the gear train was binding in any way. 

Edited by rodabod

• Similar Content

• By Mazboy
      My latest project is an ETA 7750 which happens to be inside a rather large Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro (H327161) watch.  I'm trying to remove the movement from the case but it doesn't seem to be very conventional.

The dial is a lot bigger than the movement and the rear of the case so it seems to be a front loader:

I've found what looks like a badly damaged slot on the side of the case but not sure if this is the way to open the front of the case or just someones previously failed attempt:

Trying not to damage the case further and wondered if anyone else had worked on a similar watch and could advise please.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
       Maz

• By Domovoy
      Hi friends,
      I have a 1970's Slava Soviet made watch my uncle gifted me when I was 9... I have kept it in mint condition all these years and for some reason I decided to have it serviced.
      I took it to a watch repair shop (had 5 stars) spoke with the employee and specifically asked to have the watch back in the same or better condition, when I got it back 6 weeks later I noticed they had scratched and damaged the bezel and changed the spring (even through I asked to call me incase any part needs to be replaced) 
      Now I need to replace the bezel so thats its not chewed up, the factory does not make parts for it and I am distraught as it was in perfect shape and it took someone else to ruin the watch. I only blame myself but it hurts ?

Please help me find the bezel and get it back to its former self as much as possible.  

• By Max50916
      Hello! The outer part of the rotor on my grandpa's lucien piccard seashark (AS 1580 movement) has come loose. Is there any way to repair this rotor or must it simply be replaced?

• By chatlourd
      I have a Looking Thomas Earnshaw - Longitude - ES-0025-05 and as you can see from the photo below the hand on the month dial has come off. In order to put it back on I need to remove the movement / dial from the case but I cannot seem to remove the crown / stem in order to do so. Any ideas?