K & D staking tools...

ricardopalamino

I somehow lost the punch for tightening cannon pinions for my staking set .  I thought I could just buy a replacement from K&D , Ebay , or other sources . But I have come up empty handed in finding a source for these individual parts . Any info is appreciated . Thanks , Louis

Here is a set of the punch and stump....

Screen shot 2016-12-22 at 8.35.13 PM.png

Thanks David and Rafal ,  I'll start my search with Uncle Larry's and Cousins .

It's strange that in searching so far I came across the same old K&D staking set info , but no sellers of new individual parts . I had assumed I would be able to contact K&D , or Moseley , or other staking set manufacturer and simply order the parts ,...but I guess that's not the case .

I made a little progress with both suggestions . 

Uncle Larry's had this to offer :

1]... I think I need the # 14 peening punch..

Screen shot 2016-12-22 at 11.31.58 PM.png

2 ]...Not sure if the punch and stumps will fit my staking set , but it looks promising..

Screen shot 2016-12-22 at 11.31.16 PM.png

Cousins has this punch that I could modify to work . Shape it like a screwdriver..

Screen shot 2016-12-22 at 11.42.36 PM.png

Your set is likely 4mm. That became the standard after there had been 3mm and then some combination 4mm anvil with 3mm stake or something like that.

If you do have the 4mm set then you can buy any accessories that fit the Bergeon.

OFrei does offer NOS accessories at least for the Seitz tool, maybe the also have k&d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, jguitron said:

Your set is likely 4mm. That became the standard after there had been 3mm and then some combination 4mm anvil with 3mm stake or something like that.

If you do have the 4mm set then you can buy any accessories that fit the Bergeon.

OFrei does offer NOS accessories at least for the Seitz tool, maybe the also have k&d?

Hi jguitron ,

I should have mentioned which set I had from the start . I have a Moseley Inversion Staking set manufactured by C & E Marshall Co.  I just measured the diameter of a couple of stakes and they were 4.5 mm . Is that an odd size or should I look for the 4mm that you mentioned ?

Thanks , Louis

The standard - if there is such a thing, perhaps most common is a better term - size for stakes in staking tools is 4.7mm. I'm not sure if there is a common size for the anvils in staking sets.

I think jguitron is referring to jewelling set sizes as Seitz have previously changed from 4mm to 3mm anvils (or vice versa, I can't remember). You can buy specific Bergeon cannon pinion tools (31001) for jewelling sets at Cousins UK and probably elsewhere.

The photo you have above is for a stand alone tool, it does not fit into a staking set. There are other tools you can use as well - nail clippers seem quite popular :).

Stephen

Thanks Stephen ,

Yes I can see what you are saying about the stand alone tool . Uncle Larry's has a few of these . I messaged him this morning and asked about the #14 peening stake and one of the stand alone tools in good shape and still in a box .

He messaged me back right away and told me he was starting his holiday and would be closed until Jan. 3 at which time I can inquire again .

Last night I had to tighten a cannon pinon on one of my Longines and used a nail clipper I have for this purpose . I do insert a long tapered flower Lei needle [ that is used here in Hawaii for stringing flowers for a Lei ] into the cannon pinion . Even though I have dulled the cutting edge of the clipper I get nervous about using it . I imagine the clipper cutting the cannon pinion . So far , so good using it though .

Also , Thanks for some clarification on the stake diameters , to you and jguitron both .

Hi jguitron ,

I should have mentioned which set I had from the start . I have a Moseley Inversion Staking set manufactured by C & E Marshall Co.  I just measured the diameter of a couple of stakes and they were 4.5 mm . Is that an odd size or should I look for the 4mm that you mentioned ?

Thanks , Louis

Would you post a picture of your set? It may help sort things out better.

I just looked at the pictures of the punches in my set and I don't see the peening punch . I know I have the crotch stump and I tightened a cannon pinion before so now I'm thinking I used another punch . That's both good and bad . The good is that I didn't lose the punch and the teeny bad is that I have to get one . I have a bid on a small handful of Boley punches that has the peening punch . Hopefully I get the auction and the stakes fit my set .

Things are starting to look up ...:)

I went though the whole K&D booklet trying to confirm some info. Not there... must have come across the info elsewhere and I'll keep checking.

Your set looks great. It appears it's likely interchangeable with other brands.

My anvils are 4mm

c3dba795ef5f0f7d3afc4ce90930cbad.jpg

And stakes are 4.7mm

b11e55901c610b41544daa972d381c6e.jpg

I have an Inverto #17.

I have yet one more reference to look at and if I find something I'll post it here.

For jeweling you can get a micrometer but you can use most of the tools...

Cheers!

Found the source I had been looking for. Interestingly I didn't find any specific info on the mm of the stakes and stumps. Here's a pic where there's specific reference to your staking tool:

78aed0b94a76266dfd92ffa6dd33a9ef.jpg

Here's an illustration of the tightening of a cannon pinion:

00e6d83d732b30b9b482c731ad1293a4.jpg

My suggestion is that you look at any of he major retailers (Otto Frei, Cas-Ker, Borel, Cousins, etc) and purchase accessories for the Bergeron staking tool. It should fit well. If not you can always return the pieces.

Merry Christmas and happy staking!

The issue to be aware of is it is very,very easy to go to far with the methods suggested. Always have a piece of brass/tube inside the cannon before any taps/squeezes to help to avoid this.

If your staking tool has a micro adjustment screw then that is fine. However if not then if you can find one on the bay my preferred method is to use the Seitz jeweling tool that has a canon pinion stake. When used it puts the squeeze in a very precise and controlled way

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 08.09.58.png.

• 2 years later...