Best Flooring For A Workshop

Mrbeebe2125

This is interesting as I have just started building my new workshop. It would be nice to hear what other say.

Personally I have decided to use vinyl. Something smooth with no indents.

I thought about using laminate flooring and perhaps tiles, but the vinyl flooring is winning by virtue of it's smoothness (I mean the type with no pattern) and the professional stuff as used in hotel bathrooms very hard wearing.

It also needs to be a single colour if possible, easy to spot any part which may fall on the floor, a neutral colour like light grey perhaps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

colours something I'm interested in knowing the answer to! I've dropped parts & been on my hands & knees from time to time. I've often thought red would be good, But is there a winning colour for spotting pesky little wrigglers on?

Regarding colour, my floor covering is light cream and contrasts with most watch parts that have ended up there. I've certainly dropped more than my fair share over the last couple of years and always managed to find them.

I suppose that statement is the kiss of death to my track record!!

Im currently working on the floor that was in my unit when I got it, its not a plain pattern. its black & grey flecks. Thankfully I've only had a couple of peices drop on it, but it was a nightmare finding them!

• 3 months later...

There was a material I used in my house kitchen and hallways called Interflex...maybe there is a color/combination available for a watchmaker shop.

The advantages I see in it is that this material can be pieced together seamlessly (special glue and applicator), cut to shape, it looks like tiles and has low or no maintenance, keeping its shiny looks. It is warm to the feet (winter in Chicago) and resistant to temperature changes. There were many advantages that I can't really remember when I bought it do remodel my property back then.

Colourwise I would go for whatever contrasts well with the colour of potential missiles that ping out of the movement you are working on.

Also, what about interlocking PVC tiles. Most have a textured pattern so should stop bits rolling away if dropped.

Edited by ro63rto

I have a black plastic(linoleum) floor, if you clean it every day and use indoor shoes its easy to find parts which are usually shiny.

But you need to sweep the floor every day so you find the parts easier

br

emso

p.s: sent from my s****y phone so sorry for typing mistakes :-)

Honestly, my indoor shoes are actually sandals with a rubber type of sole that what I can't find with my eyes or a magnet, I simply walk all over the place and then check the soles. Most of the time the parts I'm looking for are buried in it! Seriously!

Honestly, my indoor shoes are actually sandals with a rubber type of sole that what I can't find with my eyes or a magnet, I simply walk all over the place and then check the soles. Most of the time the parts I'm looking for are buried in it! Seriously!

As long as you use them in your workshop only then you dont have problems,if you use them outside you bring impurities inside and make the floor dirty and every dust particle will trick you that it is the missing part which you look for in an uniform color floor

br

emso

p.s: sent from my s****y phone so sorry for typing mistakes :-)

That's correct, I only use them there. The rubber soles are very, very soft and easily punctured so they effectively catch the parts. Still I have to be careful in case the part in question is not a "durable" one like a screw or some types of small bridges.

Edited by bobm12