Ordering replacement jewels

rustycolt

Good day. Today I am working on a wonderful Hamilton 940 18s railroad watch owned by a descendant of the original owner. It's a great service to be involved with. The watch has seen some tough years and due to wear and rough handling, several of the jewels are cracked. I've replaced jewels and bushings before, but this is the first time I have encountered capped jewels throughout the train as found in this watch. (the photo is not of my project, but illustrates the type of jeweling involved - the capped ones are at the escape wheel and pallet fork at top of photo) 

My question is about the best approach to sourcing replacements. Should I be looking for and replacing just the jewel in the existing brass retainers, or is there a way to find replacements as a drop in? It would be lovely if the latter was an option, but inexperience is preventing me from knowing what exactly I'm looking for when shopping. 

295.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Edited by rustycolt

37 minutes ago, IllinoisWatch said:

well the easy way is to replace the whole settings.  if you keep an eye on ebay you should find a parts movement pretty easily.   i have balance jewels for them but no train jewels 

This is definitely my preference, but aside from a scrap movement, what I'm wondering is if the set stones are available from a parts supplier such as Cousins or Ofrei, and if so, what exactly are they named?

well they are just plate jewels. i think the hamilton jewels were burnished in the settings. new jewels are friction fitted. so you will ream out the setting with a jewling kit and press in a new one. you will need to know the pivot size and the diameter. so measure the pivots first then order a diameter a little bigger thanthe old hole.   your ream # needs to match the jewel diameter.  then you just press it in.      if you give me the measurements i can look on my seitz chart for a #

• Like 1