Old pocket Watch help needed

Paul78

Could anyone help me with this pocket watch, there is no identification on the movement whatsoever, after removing all of the screws from the train bridge i still cant remove the bridge. It looks like the centre wheel or the canon pinion is stopping it. Ive attached some pics, can anyone see what it is i may need to do to remove it? ive tried prizing off the pinion but it doesn't budge at all.

pic5.jpgpic4.jpg

pic3.jpgpic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not a canon pinion as you know.  The pinion is a taper fit onto the pin that just protrudes through.  The minute hand would have been fitted to that part of the pin.

Support the movement on a steel or brass block with a hole in it to allow the other end of the pin to fall into.  Now very carefully using a small hammer and brass punch, give the end of the pin that protrudes through the pinion a sharp tap.  The pin should now free from the pinion.

• Like 1

You're welcome Paul.  If you need to stiffen the movement of the hands during setting, bend the pin ever so slightly.  This allows it to have more grip on the inside of the tube.  This gives the same effect as squeezing a conventional canon pinion.

When you come to refitting the minute hand, support the bottom of the pin on a block, place the hand on the taper end of the pin then use an open ended punch and hammer to lightly tap it back in place.  If you have a staking set it makes life easier.