Hamilton Odyssee 2001....

I went to the library and was looking through the small section of watch books they had on the shelves when I came across a Hamilton Odyssee 2001 from around 1968 - 69 .                      I immediately thought of the Stanley Kubrick movie , " 2001: A Space Odyssey ", and found out that indeed this watch has a connection to the movie .

http://shop.1025vintage.com/products/hamilton-odyssee-2001

http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=4890

When I saw the watch in the book it grabbed me and I knew I had to have it . I guess luck was on my side , because when i got home and searched for it I found one up for sale on Ebay with a BIN price or make offer . I made an offer that was $225 less then the asking price and forgot about it . Two days later I got a message that the seller agreed to my offer so we made the deal . There are 2 versions of this watch that were made and I got the second version . The dial , hands and bracelet are a bit different . On mine the hands have serrated lines the length of the hand and the buckle matches this design .

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

The case back is stamped with the Fontainebleau logo that Hamilton had a series of in the late 60's and early 70's .  I decided to do a service on it and wad fortunate to find the watch featured in " The Watch Spot Blog " where the author was kind enough to pass on the trick on how to get the movement out of the case . That information is in one of the links I've attached .

This is an Automatic winding watch that has a Hamilton Cal. 64 movement which is actually an ETA 2472 movement . A very well made movement that lined up the parameters on my timegrapher perfectly .

I can say that I am very pleased with the appearance of this watch and that it is very comfortable on the wrist .

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, jdm said:

Nice helmet look, if it was in my hands I'd take it as a polishing challenge emoji4.png

Thanks jdm ,

I lightly sanded , [600 , 1500 , and 2000 grit ] , and polished the crystal and lightly polished the case this morning . The crystal came out super and I don't want to over polish the case and lose any edges . I didn't use my buffing wheel because of that .

It really does look nice in person  .

On December 10, 2016 at 7:09 AM, jdm said:

I've found that the "ruining edges" issue is vastly exaggerated. Just use the proper compound and avoid edges as much as possible. 

Howzit jdm , 

I have done that in the past and have really improved my buffing and polishing skills after watching the Youtube video ,"Introduction To Buffing & Polishing - YouTube " by perplxr .

I am satisfied with the finish on my watch so I'll leave it . Honestly . It looks good .

Aloha , Louis