Eyeglasses and lighting

WatchMaker

I wonder if I can ask for opinions / advice on eyeglasses and lighting please.

Being relatively new to watch repairing as a hobby I've relied on a relatively cheap headband eyeglass obtained via ebay plus a bright desk lamp I already had. The eyeglass is meant to be 15x but I suspect is nearer 10x; I don't know if this is OTT magnification but I get on well with it.

As I'm doing more close up work I think I should invest in something a little better if only to ensure I don't get eyestrain. I've looked at Cousins - https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/eyeglasses-magnifiers-loupes-loupe-chains - and there is a rather large array though! I did search through the forum and came across http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/748-handy-clip-on-dual-loupe/ which is something different altogether. Maybe there are other options I'm not even aware of.

In terms of lighting I can find as I get to a really fiddly bit of repair where I need to lean in very close I inevitably cast an annoying shadow .... but that might just be practice and technique in where I position my head and hands as I get to the more fiddly bits. Alternatively there might be some great lighting option I'm unaware of.

So can any of you offer advice on what eyeglass (or glasses) I should get from Cousins (or elsewhere) bearing in mind I'm not a pro ... and also whether I need to consider a more appropriate light source.

Many thanks.

For lighting I would recommend a watchmakers light. http://www.esslinger.com/dazor-30w-fluorescent-clamp-base-task-light/

Although a  little more expensive, it will be worth the money. A few weeks ago I came across a very nice ledlight which can be dimmed with a touch of the hand, also you can adjust the colortemp from coldblue to warmyellow and all in between in small steps. It was only 25 euro but I like the features and the fact it does not get warm

http://spotlightelectronics.com/reviews/review-livarno-lux-led-desk-lamp/

See also the thread about loupes which Will opened.

Edited by Watchtime
type errors
  • Like 1

Firstly unless you're working on particularly small movements (such as ladies watches) 5× magnification should be sufficient for general work. Fine or fiddly work 10x magnification should do. Anymore than that your head will be so close you will find it very difficult.
As for lighting:- see pics of my scruffy old hobby roombf175822ccd835c38dbadd9d991d4850.jpg664842660d9e28a0df247255e126ae6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What I had when I was working eye glasses from a 5 down to a 2 the 3½ being the one I used most.

Lighting on my bench I had something like the picture. I also had many strip lights on the ceiling and around the workshop some at waste high, other lights over machines such as lathes. With lighting make sure if you are close up the light doesn't get hot and make sure they don't cast a shadow.   

13.110.1__50272.1477014625.500.750.jpg

• Like 1

Great advice as always - thanks.

The first thing I'm taking away from this is that my one eyeglass is too high a magnification! Even if its advertised 15x is probably nearer 10x I'm still two or three times over the magnification you experts use. So that's a shopping trip via Cousins today!

Good advice on the lighting too. Maybe down the road I'll go for a pro bench light but I like the sound of Watchtime's cost effective LED lamp as this can angle in both the vertical and horizontal planes. My standard desk lamp only directs light downwards in a fairly concentrated beam which is why I probably have issues. I've bought one on Amazon!

Better general lighting as suggested by digginstony and oldhippy is also where I'll concentrate some effort as the soft glow lighting in the dining room where I do most of my watch work will get a makeover with some 100W+ bulbs!

On 06/12/2016 at 11:18 AM, WatchMaker said:

Great advice as always - thanks.

The first thing I'm taking away from this is that my one eyeglass is too high a magnification! Even if its advertised 15x is probably nearer 10x I'm still two or three times over the magnification you experts use. So that's a shopping trip via Cousins today!

Good advice on the lighting too. Maybe down the road I'll go for a pro bench light but I like the sound of Watchtime's cost effective LED lamp as this can angle in both the vertical and horizontal planes. My standard desk lamp only directs light downwards in a fairly concentrated beam which is why I probably have issues. I've bought one on Amazon!

Better general lighting as suggested by digginstony and oldhippy is also where I'll concentrate some effort as the soft glow lighting in the dining room where I do most of my watch work will get a makeover with some 100W+ bulbs!

Best is to have overall good light and more concentrated light on thw workbench. It is less tiring for the eyes. The swivel of the lamp I mentioned, in all directions...is a big advantage. I was lucky to have 2 orginal watchmakers lights in a heritage I bought, but the swifel lights do a perfect job also.

• Like 1

You need to check the focal length of the eyeglasses. The "magnification" is often meaningless.

Very good point you made about focal point and totally agree with you. I use a head band with pull out magnifiers. As can be seen from photo. The magnifier can be placed on different positions on the mounting bridge which alters the point of focus. I personally use 5x magnification for general work and 8x magnification for the small tricky stuff.a7bdd3874997ad37b8cd752dacac7244.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk