Newbie saying hi!

Ruby2

Hi All

I'm a small collector of mechanical watches and have decided I'd like to get to know more about how they tick (pardon the pun).

My great grandfather was a watch repairer and I still have one or two items left to me like small anvils and brass fold open eye loupes etc.  

I would like to have a look into learning more about the insides of the watch and although I know a little about the parts and how they work in the watch I am a complete newcomer to working on a watch (apart from changing straps and batteries on my wife's watches).

Can anyone advise on how best to start ie get a Eta 2801 movement and a basic tool kit to learn to strip and rebuild it?  

Any advise would be greatly accepted. 

Cheers 

Richard 

Hello and Greetings!

Well, starting with a working movement helps. Even easier with a big one, a 6497 or 6498 pocket watch size is great! There are Chinese versions of these on our favorite auction site that are not very expensive.

There was an article on here about beginners tools, but it seems to have disappeared. I used this list -

Information About Toolkits

as a guide for buying my first tools.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Hello from me. Start with a pocket watch, there just very big watch movements, just practice taking it all apart and putting it all back, get to know what the parts are called. Doing this will help you to use your tweezers and screwdrivers correctly and how to hold your eyeglass, with out screwing up your face. Stay away from fusee pocket watches there not like watch movements.

• Like 1