Hello from another Texan!

sperki77

My name is Shirley.  I have been fascinated by watch repair since the sixties.  My father was a watch repairman for over fifty years in San Antonio, Texas, USA.  He was a railroad watch inspector for Southern Pacific Railroad back when they used to have their watches inspected.  That was before quartz watches.  He worked on a lot of Hamilton, Illinois and Elgin pocket watches.  When Bulova Accutrons came out, he worked on a ton of those.  In fact, he wore a Railroad Accutron for many years.  For a decade or so, he did watch repair by day (in my uncle's jewelry shop) and worked on the railroad at night.  Eventually, he retired from the railroad and bought the jewelry store from my uncle and did watch repair full time.  When he got older he developed Parkinson's and his hands became too shaky to repair watches.  I bought his tools and thought I might try my hand at it, but it wasn't as easy as my father had made it look.  I decided to take a watch repair course, but didn't get very far before my father became too ill and I had to quit and move back home to help take care of him.  In the course, I had learned just enough to strip me of any false confidence I may have had.  I can take a basic watch apart and put it back together... I don't promise I could repair it.  But I'm dragging the tools and a few old watches out and trying my hand at it again.  Mark's videos have given me back the confidence to try.  I really look forward to interacting with any fellow watch repair friends here.  I hope not only to learn a bit, but maybe share a bit of what I learn also.  I will definitely take photos...   

• Like 4

Welcome Shirley! You'll get plenty of help from everyone here....and Mark's videos are exactly how I've learned to do everything from simple pin lever escapements, to the valjoux 7750 chronograph. I've only done one chronograph, but I did manage to get it working perfectly. I've only recently started working on Pocket watches and just finished a nice 1899 Waltham movement in a hunter case. I believe you have the distinction of being the first woman to become an official member of WRT

Welcome and look forward to your posts!

Regards,

JC 

• Like 2

Aloha Shirley  , Welcome to one of the friendliest watch forums I have participated in . Every one learns and shares their experiences here and seems to have fun doing it .

I have read about the railroad watches and their inspectors and found that to be an interesting part of American watch history . 

I have taken an interest in the Bulova Accutrons and have started working on a few . I have a respect for your Dad if he could tackle those movements and wore one in his position with the RR . They were very accurate especially for their time .

Marks videos are excellent and has been my main avenue of instruction . He makes it look easy .

I'm looking forward to seeing what projects you get involved with . Will you try your hand with mens and Ladies watches ?

Hi dadistic!  By the time I got my father's things, they had been picked through and anything of any obvious value was gone.  However, the golddiggers didn't know the value of tools, so I came away with a good supply.  I also have a lot of junk and plenty of parts for Bulova, some Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, Seiko and others.  I found a few nice common vintage watches that I'm itching to take apart.  Most of them pretty basic, but I'm pretty basic myself... haha.  I'll be sure to take some photos when I get my place finished where I can dig some stuff out.

Aloha Ricardo!  My father worked on a lot of Accutrons.  I doubt that I will ever tackle one myself... I can barely get through a simple wind-up.  But I'm happy to see that someone is brave enough to take on the task.  I have quite a few old watches to play with, and I'll probably work on both men's and ladies watches.  Hairsprings will be my "hairiest" problem... I'm terrified of them.  This is a really friendly site.  I am so grateful for Mark's videos.  He is an excellent mentor.  He has a calm, soothing voice and he explains just enough to be helpful and not so much that it interferes.  Looking forward to sharing this great hobby with you and all the friendly folks on this forum!

Hey, JC!  Thanks for the welcome.  I've known a couple watchmakers who were women, but there aren't too many of us.  I don't know why... I absolutely love it!  When it's not frustrating, it's really soothing work.  It's like working a puzzle... or sometimes like solving a mystery, haha.  I remember many times when my father would start a sentence with, "This doggone watch..."  But he once told me, "I've been working on watches 7 days a week for forty years, and I never get tired of it."  I totally understand that.

Way to go on the Waltham!  I'm looking forward to sharing some "doggone" watch stories with you and my new forum friends.  My goal is to make my way up to a Valjoux 7750 chronograph.  It'll be awhile... haha.

Hello,

I've not known a woman watchmaker. I think the mechanical aspect may be something only a few people can appreciate. Not too long ago, my brother was curious about my work bench. He likes watches, but took took one look at the tiny parts and walked away shaking his heads. There is high level of aptitude needed for the precision of handling the tweezers, little screwdrivers, etc.

The Valjoux is certainly a challenge: both in technique needed, and the level of complexity of the movement. You're in the right place to learn, that's for sure. They guys are fantastic, and there is a wealth of information all over the site.

JC

Hello,

I've not known a woman watchmaker. I think the mechanical aspect may be something only a few people can appreciate. Not too long ago, my brother was curious about my work bench. He likes watches, but took took one look at the tiny parts and walked away shaking his heads. There is high level of aptitude needed for the precision of handling the tweezers, little screwdrivers, etc.

The Valjoux is certainly a challenge: both in technique needed, and the level of complexity of the movement. You're in the right place to learn, that's for sure. They guys are fantastic, and there is a wealth of information all over the site.

JC

769a2c468fb7773d1701ff83f48203d9.jpg
c192d77ec294af01150a469bab4ae533.jpg
The waltham I recently repaired...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello,

JC

769a2c468fb7773d1701ff83f48203d9.jpg
c192d77ec294af01150a469bab4ae533.jpg
The waltham I recently repaired...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

On 12/3/2016 at 0:11 PM, sperki77 said:

Hi dadistic!  By the time I got my father's things, they had been picked through and anything of any obvious value was gone.  However, the golddiggers didn't know the value of tools, so I came away with a good supply.  I also have a lot of junk and plenty of parts for Bulova, some Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, Seiko and others.  I found a few nice common vintage watches that I'm itching to take apart.  Most of them pretty basic, but I'm pretty basic myself... haha.  I'll be sure to take some photos when I get my place finished where I can dig some stuff out.

Oooh - Seiko parts!  Now I know of someone else to pester when I'm looking for something. Any Timex parts hanging around? If so, I'm one of those crazies who actually works on vintage Timex watches, and am always looking for parts.

I think you are going to have a bunch of fun!

2 hours ago, dadistic said:

Oooh - Seiko parts!  Now I know of someone else to pester when I'm looking for something. Any Timex parts hanging around? If so, I'm one of those crazies who actually works on vintage Timex watches, and am always looking for parts.

I think you are going to have a bunch of fun!

Actually, I may have some Timex parts... so pester away!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Shirley and welcome,

your intro gave a fascinating insight into your family history and if you are able to take a basic watch apart and put it back together that is a skill that is present already so take heart and forge onward as there are many that aspire to do just that.

I have been tinkering for a while and have an interest in the Accutrons which can be a tad testy but a lovely American watch and way ahead of its time.

Cheers, Vic

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 9:18 PM, Vich said:

Hello Shirley and welcome,

your intro gave a fascinating insight into your family history and if you are able to take a basic watch apart and put it back together that is a skill that is present already so take heart and forge onward as there are many that aspire to do just that.

I have been tinkering for a while and have an interest in the Accutrons which can be a tad testy but a lovely American watch and way ahead of its time.

Cheers, Vic

Thanks, Vic.  I love the Accutrons, but I'll never attempt to work on one... I'm doing good to tinker with a manual wind basic Bulova.  If you ever need a part, check with me... I have a couple.