WARNING !! Timex Content Ahead !!

Put down your hammers and back away....Just kidding . Some members have stated thar's how they service Timex Watches .

I picked up this Timex Electronic , back-set , front loader at the swap meet for $8 . It wasn't running  and had an AG10 battery still installed , but with no visible damage to the movement . This one has the M87 movement with the date .

This is a late 60's model called  " The Blue Nebula " with a West German movement that was produced by the Laco watch company that Timex acquired when they bought Durowe-Laco at the end of 1958 to get into the electronic watch arena ..... http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/laco/

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

I got home from the swap meet , opened the watch up and installed  a new battery .  The watch would only tun for a minute or less .  I did some reading on this movement and started to disassemble it for a service . If you have ever tried to service a Timex you know why the hammers are used .

I got as far as taking off the magnet and then the balance and then a voice from above said , " don't do it . Don't go any further "...so I didn't .  What I did do was to clean and tighten any electrical contacts that I could reach , and put a light oil on any jewels and bushing in reach and assembled the watch again .

At that point it would tun for an hour or two , and stop . I would shake it and get another couple of hour worth of run time . I left the watch under a light bulb for a while and it ran for approx. 24 hours . Back to the light bulb treatment that I may patent and the watch has been running for 5 days now and actually keeping very accurate time .....Honest .

I had a watchband in my stash but have had to file some areas where the lug area of the watch was binding . I still have to smooth and buff those areas so it has a better finish .

Screen shot 2016-12-02 at 11.40.49 AM.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Put down your hammers and back away....Just kidding . Some members have stated thar's how they service Timex Watches .

I picked up this Timex Electronic , back-set , front loader at the swap meet for $8 . It wasn't running  and had an AG10 battery still installed , but with no visible damage to the movement . This one has the M87 movement with the date .

This is a late 60's model called  " The Blue Nebula " with a West German movement that was produced by the Laco watch company that Timex acquired when they bought Durowe-Laco at the end of 1958 to get into the electronic watch arena ..... http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/laco/

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

I got home from the swap meet , opened the watch up and installed  a new battery .  The watch would only tun for a minute or less .  I did some reading on this movement and started to disassemble it for a service . If you have ever tried to service a Timex you know why the hammers are used .

I got as far as taking off the magnet and then the balance and then a voice from above said , " don't do it . Don't go any further "...so I didn't .  What I did do was to clean and tighten any electrical contacts that I could reach , and put a light oil on any jewels and bushing in reach and assembled the watch again .

At that point it would tun for an hour or two , and stop . I would shake it and get another couple of hour worth of run time . I left the watch under a light bulb for a while and it ran for approx. 24 hours . Back to the light bulb treatment that I may patent and the watch has been running for 5 days now and actually keeping very accurate time .....Honest .

I had a watchband in my stash but have had to file some areas where the lug area of the watch was binding . I still have to smooth and buff those areas so it has a better finish .

Screen shot 2016-12-02 at 11.40.49 AM.png

The old Timex looks cool, even though it may only be right twice a day. I have an old early 70s electronic Timex that tends to work the same way.
The mechanical Timex's still amaze me considering how cheaply the movements are made but so many out there keeping time.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi HurleySG ,   It has been keeping very good time and doesn't stop any more .

It must have been my advanced technique of putting it under the lightbulb and getting all those electrons going . Probably convinced the old lube to cooperate too.

Keeps on tickin'....

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sperki77 said:

Yeah, you'd better patent that technique... haha.  It is a cool looking Timex, though.  I like the band you rustled up for it. 

It doesn't matter if you "take a licking" for working on a Timex... just "keep on ticking"  Haha.

Mahalo Shirley ,  That's the right attitude...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Yes, these are both back sets. Here are some additional pics. The blue dialed one has an original black leather strap.

DSC05262.JPG

DSC05263.JPG

DSC05264.JPG

Very nice ,..

I have one similar...

20170607_065342.jpg.6fc2d328232bf460a75065b1d8e2a8cc.jpg

Would you by any chance have any info on this black Timex ? 79's or 80's , and I think it came from the "Waterfall " series although I am not certain of that .

5938335851239_ScreenShot2017-06-07at7_03_29AM.png.e273cc28e323c72efd8aa5139f615263.png

59383381c4759_ScreenShot2017-06-07at7_03_42AM.png.2880e9822c7e05035a0790559b63b48f.png

I see 78 stamped into the case back so that dates the quartz watch to June 1991.

Your "Electric"  has a model 84 where the "Electronic" has a model 87.

Both are same size linge so can be changed out.  The one you show is familiar to me but for some reason I think was not sold via the US catalog so will check my book latter tonight.  The difference between the Electric and Electronic was the introduction of a small regulator board for the current flow to the coil.

• Like 1

Ah I knew something was odd.  your watch is a franken.  Someone swapped the case out.

The dial is from 1968 and the case was not introduced until 1971.   I just put up a few electric parts watches under my ebay seller id ( pack43 )  One of them is the correct cushion case if your interested.  I think that was the only parts one I had left but I get stuff in all the time.  LMK if that would interest you and I'll make a note to keep an eye out for one.

DSC05265.JPG

DSC05266.JPG

Ah I knew something was odd.  your watch is a franken.  Someone swapped the case out.

The dial is from 1968 and the case was not introduced until 1971.   I just put up a few electric parts watches under my ebay seller id ( pack43 )  One of them is the correct cushion case if your interested.  I think that was the only parts one I had left but I get stuff in all the time.  LMK if that would interest you and I'll make a note to keep an eye out for one.

DSC05265.JPG

DSC05266.JPG

Wow , you are fast...good eye . Yup , I swapped the movement to that case . It came from a non'-running backset . I think the hacking switch is dirty on the non-runner . 

I think I'm watching the correct case and offering you have for my red electric... And hope I'm not violating any forum rules by showing it .

5938b4a28c4b9_ScreenShot2017-06-07at4_16_04PM.thumb.png.fa3a99bdbe0e09a991f0972b2b93e80d.png

I had a few very good teachers in the old Timex forum:)

hacking issue is very common.  Sometimes I've cleared it up with some cleaner and fresh lube.  But if it priestesses I know enough not to let myself say hey just take out one more screw 

I had a few very good teachers in the old Timex forum:)

hacking issue is very common.  Sometimes I've cleared it up with some cleaner and fresh lube.  But if it priestesses I know enough not to let myself say hey just take out one more screw 

Aloha JerseyMo , I thought I recognized your moniker from the old Timex Forum . What is it called now if it still exists ?

It's good that you heed that little voice that says to leave that Timex alone . I have learned the hard way with these puppies .

And if you can shed any light about my Black Timex Quartz , I would appreciate it . Someone wants to get it from me , but for some reason unknown to me ,..I keep saying NO .

The Network54 forum is gone, the reasons presented was that the technology for the service provider was outdated and soon to be decommissioned.  The admin informed the members of his decision to host the site on his own environment with updated software.  Well to cut to the moral of the story, Network 54 is still there the old forum has been deleted and the new forum gets a very little attention or chatting. Guess one two many screws were taken out!

As for that Black Timex quartz, I would let it go and get a 64' Marlin to restore.

"I left the watch under a light bulb for a while and it ran for approx. 24 hours ."  How far away was the lightbulb from the watch?  I have a set up with a light bulb on a stake on one of my benches.  Should it be a couple of inches, half a foot, a foot...?  Thanks.

"I left the watch under a light bulb for a while and it ran for approx. 24 hours ."  How far away was the lightbulb from the watch?  I have a set up with a light bulb on a stake on one of my benches.  Should it be a couple of inches, half a foot, a foot...?  Thanks.

About 6 inches . My theory was just to free up any old lube . It's still running BTW.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Just bought this beauty and haven't found many others online besides the ones shown here. Is this model rare? It's the 1971 967601, still new and unused in the original box and the plastic tab on the back still attached. Should I try to see if there is a battery inside or remove it. If one is present I can't imagine it would do any harm as I would imagine if it would have damaged anything inside it would have done so long ago as it would be a 49 year old battery.....