Lwo283 service

AP1875

Hi guys, I found a LWO283 on eBay for a very good price, so I thought I'd pick it up and try and service it.

For those that don't know this movement is an ETA 2892 with a Dubois Depraz chrono module.

I've serviced a 2892 before so interested in having a go at the module.

Anyway, slight problem I'm not sure how you remove it from the case. At 6 and 12 I have turned the two tabs so it's no longer latched in. Taken the stem out. And it's not moving, I don't want to try random screws and remove it. I need to be confident on how it actually comes out.

Any ideas?

1793d1320cb5e9c62768a5e517ca2960.jpg

I'm sure it does come out the front.  The two "tabs" that you mention look like rotary knives that cut into the dial pins to hold the dial in place.

I think you will have to remove the front bezel (if possible) the or the crystal, the screws that hold the movement into the case. From what I see it looks like there are three of these screws.  Once the above has been accomplished, the movement should come out the front of the case.

Can it be done without these. The case/crystal is going in the bin

The bin is something unknown to watchmakers [emoji4]
I suggest that you try to do things the proper way without using force or breaking things. It is part of a quality approach to this hobby.
  • Like 1

That'd be the tool - assuming you have a domed acrylic crystal with enough to get a hold of the egde.

The tool is also good for fitting new crystals... but I had to deburr the claws on mine to prevent marking the crystal when I first got it. I suspect if you buy the bergeon version then this would not be required!

You might get away with blowing the old crystal out - not so easy with a chrono case, but it is accepted practice to use a small pump on the pendant tube. There is again an expensive solution to this problem (below) or you could improvise with a bicycle pump, ballon pump, syringe, etc.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/glass-removing-pump-bergeon-5011

Hi Stuart, thank you for your detailed reply.

I've just checked to specs for the watch (Philip sea lion) and it has a sapphire crystal. Would that require a different type of puller?

If you have a case back press fined a dye approximately the same size of the Crystal not the bezel. If you don't have a case back press, improvisation is required, possibly a plastic bottle top ? Hold the bezel firmly in your fingers, face down. Place dye over the inside of the Crystal. A short sharp positive hit to the dye with a suitable hammer will release the crystal from the bezel.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

If I have understood your explanation correctly I don't think I can do this because the movement is still in the watch, so I can't place a dye on the inside of the crystal.

Ooops I thought the bezel and crystal was off the case but you will need a decent case back and crystal press to fit the new crystal. So you have removed the bezel and the movement is still in place with the crystal over the dial ?
Have you tried pushing the movement from behind out the front

If the crystal is attached to the case, not the bezel, then this definitely comes out the back.

If the movement will not rotate in the case, it is likely you haven't freed it yet. There are 3 other large screws around the edge of the movement, are these the retaining screws?

Stuart, I think I've reached a point where I'm just going to have to remove them and find out. I was kind of reluctant to do this without knowing for sure. I thought the two tabs at 6 and 12 were for holding the movement in place, I've not seen an ETA movement where they use a screw as well, however I have very limited exposure as I'm just starting out. I will remove them and report back.

If life only was that easy. A high number of watch producers buy in movements and fit to cases in a variety of ways. If after removing the screws it still doesn't want to move. It still could push out to the rear, including the crystal, or the front, note the size of the dial diameter and what way it's likely to come out. It could still be the screws holding the movement in but after removing, dirt is holding the movement in. There could be a movement ring holding it in position or the movement may need to be rotated first prior to removal.
Best of luck anyway