MKS Jewelling tool

Tmuir

This Monday gone we had an elderly watchmaker visit my night class who was looking at selling off some of his surpluss tools for very reasonable prices.

He had an MKS Jewelling tool for sale at too good a price to refuse.

It seems very similar to the Seitz tool, but I believe the MKS was made in Japan.

The accessories are about 95% complete, its missing one reamer, and some of the parts in the front row are now correct as they are duplicates of pushers, but all in all will be a good starting jewelling tool setup for me that cost me less than half of what I would of paid should I had bought a second hand Seitz off ebay, so I am very happy.

Now I just need a pivot gauge and I am good to go as I picked up a JKA micrometer earlier this year.

I downloaded the instructions of a Seitz tool which will do, but is anyone knows where I can get the instructions for this tool that will be appreciated

mks jewelller 1.png

mks jewellling  2.png

mks jewellling  3.png

That's a very nice little set, and at half the price of a second hand Seitz set, a real bargain.

MKS seem to be somewhat overlooked when it comes to tools, we hear little about them in the UK as the market is dominated by Swiss, American, and German (and even some British) makers, probably due to proximity to those countries. Japan however has a long and highly respectable pedigree when it comes to both precision engineering tooling, and matchmaking.

I have a couple of MKS staking sets which (due to obscurity) I picked up for a song. They are every bit the equal of any offering from Europe or the USA.

As far as instructions are concerned I doubt that you will need anything more than you find in the Seitz manual, and maybe have a look on YouTube for some practical demonstration.

Nice find though.

• 2 years later...

Just dredging up my old post from nearly 3 years ago as I am finally starting to use this.

I had to replace an endstone recently and noted that the size reamer I wanted to use was damaged and the next size up was missing, but after some research and measuring I discovered the the Bergeon (Seitz) spare parts fitted mine so I replaced about half of the reamers.

I'm now looking at some of my pushers and may replace some of them as they also have seen better days, but was wondering if anyone here maintains their pushers as listed in the Seitz booklet by grinding them flat.

I obviously don't have the special (and expensive) Seitz grinding stone but was thinking about using one of my diamond sharpening stones instead.

What does everyone else do?

Just dredging up my old post from nearly 3 years ago as I am finally starting to use this.
I had to replace an endstone recently and noted that the size reamer I wanted to use was damaged and the next size up was missing, but after some research and measuring I discovered the the Bergeon (Seitz) spare parts fitted mine so I replaced about half of the reamers.
I'm now looking at some of my pushers and may replace some of them as they also have seen better days, but was wondering if anyone here maintains their pushers as listed in the Seitz booklet by grinding them flat.
I obviously don't have the special (and expensive) Seitz grinding stone but was thinking about using one of my diamond sharpening stones instead.
What does everyone else do?
The Seitz stone is quite fine, similar to an aggressive Arkansas. Most importantly it is very parallel top to bottom. If you have a single sided, small* diamond stone, that's not too coarse, and can check it for parallelism and it's good, go for it.

*a larger stone/lap whatever will tend to not want to stay flat on the base of the tool. I haven't had a Seitz in many years but recall the place where the stump sits is pretty small, much smaller than Horia.

Yes I was thinking I might need to buy a new smaller diamond stone as mine were all bought to sharpen gravers so are quite large and would be hard to hold flat. I do have smaller Arkansas stones but I wouldn't trust them to be perfectly parallel.