Hi from Perth, Western Australia

dhsmith50

Hi all,

Just gotten bitten by the horology bug and bitten BAD!

Have spent some silly money on a cheapo kit; then started adding some more serious minor tools.

Become and ebay addict (just gone 'cold turkey' on that one lol) and have purchased a whole pile of trainer watches.

Have focused on good old CCCP era watches baecause they are a)Cheap, B) apparently reasonably well made c) Some REALLY interesting designs (check out their 1980's Olympics designd DE-CRAZZZYYY!)

Have become a bit of a fan of Vostok's and Polja's (sic)...what so bad about Raketa's.

When I am all grown up (lol); I'm moving onto Elgin's Hamilton's and Waltham's (with the odd solid silver British fob) and then I might move into fusee's.

Stripped my first medium sized ladies movement (you guessed it - cheap ) last night and...no big deal (thankyou The Watchman Video's - that guy's a LEGEND).

What can I say [ it's fun.

It's like stripping car engines...with tweezers (and you can pack it all away in a box at the end of the day).

Hello from me. If you are just starting out I always advise people to start with pocket watches ( not fusee ones) the movements are very much the same only a lot bigger then a watch. Just practices taking apart and the putting back together and learn the names of the parts. There's plenty on this forum for beginners as well as advanced. Old Russian movements from the 70's aren't as well made as Swiss movements, a simple Swiss movement is a lot easier to work on.   

4 hours ago, dhsmith50 said:

Hi all,

Just gotten bitten by the horology bug and bitten BAD!

Have spent some silly money on a cheapo kit; then started adding some more serious minor tools.

Become and ebay addict (just gone 'cold turkey' on that one lol) and have purchased a whole pile of trainer watches.

Have focused on good old CCCP era watches baecause they are a)Cheap, B) apparently reasonably well made c) Some REALLY interesting designs (check out their 1980's Olympics designd DE-CRAZZZYYY!)

Have become a bit of a fan of Vostok's and Polja's (sic)...what so bad about Raketa's.

When I am all grown up (lol); I'm moving onto Elgin's Hamilton's and Waltham's (with the odd solid silver British fob) and then I might move into fusee's.

Stripped my first medium sized ladies movement (you guessed it - cheap ) last night and...no big deal (thankyou The Watchman Video's - that guy's a LEGEND).

What can I say [ it's fun.

It's like stripping car engines...with tweezers (and you can pack it all away in a box at the end of the day).

A warm welcome from me, It has only been great to be member here from day one....I have learned a lot.....enjoy....

Welcome, nice to see someone else from Perth WA on here too.

If you decide you want to get more serious the Master Clock and Watch Makers of Western Australia does night classes on watch and clock repair.

I'm currently just finishing my first year on the course.

I think the last spot for the 2017 course was just filled, but if you are interested I would still suggest you put your name down as someone may pull out.

Welcome to the forum dh! Let me suggest to also watch Mark's videos. They might not be exactly about Russian watches but the overall techniques and procedures apply. Good source for learning and progression towards your future plans.