Replacement movement for Citizen watch

Davey57

Would anyone know whether there might be an equivalent modern replacement for a Citizen watch movement. The watch in question is an Eco Drive 0855 chrono. The watch itself is in great condition but the movement is rendered useless by a broken pivot on one of the flimsy plastic train wheels. I could eventually find a donor watch I suppose but if a new moment was available at reasonable cost it would make sense to fit one. I understand that Miyota and Citizen are one and the same, might there be a Miyota equivalent. I have tried to find some kind of cross reference document but with no joy.

Or, if anyone might have a scrap movement of one of those calibres from which I could harvest a replacement for the broken part I would be happy to buy it.

Many thanks

Same as almost everything that is new?  Movement doesn't exist? Or breed of watch enthusiast will die out . Try finding a new or a couple of year old Seiko movement? There aren't even parts available for them? 

Buy and trow them i the out  when the get broken. Funny to buy a watch for lots of money and none can fix it . 

I stick to the old as long as there are parts. 

I can get a couple of pictures tomorrow. The watch is completely stripped down. I will measure the main plate or, in this case, the plastic bit.

I don't think it is a particularly new watch, I think they have been around a while. Cousins list the 0855 as obsolete. They have stock of 0870, the only difference "afaik" is it has a date wheel which doesn't matter but, they are £50 and the watch isn't really worth spending that sort of money on.

Good day. I've found that the Citizen parts are often more available than they first appear. The trick is to figure out what the Miyota movement number is. It is not always the same as the Citizen reference. 

For example - I recently needed a rotor for a Citizen movement F500. I searched high and low, and the only option available was directly from Citizen. Cost prohibitive, and unless you have a silver tongue, they do not want to sell you parts over the counter. Thought that watch would be end of life. As others have pointed out, they don't hold a lot of intrinsic value. I happened to stumble on to the fact that 'F500' was a Citizen specific re-label of Miyota's FS00 reference. 

Lo and behold, that part was available from Cousins (as a movement listed, or just the rotor by request). Ended up being cheap as chips, and a rather simple repair. Heirloom watch? No. Worth cost of repair? Absolutely. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 19/11/2016 at 10:42 PM, Davey57 said:

I understand that Miyota and Citizen are one and the same, might there be a Miyota equivalent. I have tried to find some kind of cross reference document but with no joy.

Jules Borel is your friend... but it doesn't get you a much cheaper solution.

If you search their database for the 0855, the only part available is the capacitor, clicking on that also turns up the Miyota 0W50, which is the same as Citizen 0850.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=Ve_BYM

Cousins offers you a link to the parts lists for both, so you can check if the part you need is the same. https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2620_Citizen 0850,0855,0870,0875.pdf

Bad news is that parts for the Miyota movement are also not available and the movement is £40

• Like 1

In the screenshot it is part number 30, the 5th wheel and pinion. All of the other gears that look like it are white but this one is the only grey coloured one. Might help you spot it if you have one. Unfortunately I have also discovered that the two small contact springs are missing, 2nd screenshot.  I was given this in pieces in the hope that I could get it back together.

If you have any parts that would be fantastic. Thanks very much

Screen shot 2016-11-21 at 16.52.47.png

Screen shot 2016-11-21 at 20.08.38.png

1 hour ago, StuartBaker104 said:

Jules Borel is your friend... but it doesn't get you a much cheaper solution.

If you search their database for the 0855, the only part available is the capacitor, clicking on that also turns up the Miyota 0W50, which is the same as Citizen 0850.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=Ve_BYM

Cousins offers you a link to the parts lists for both, so you can check if the part you need is the same. https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2620_Citizen 0850,0855,0870,0875.pdf

Bad news is that parts for the Miyota movement are also not available and the movement is £40

Nice piece of detective work. Thanks for the info. I will have to give that a go and see how to do it for future reference.

It's beginning to look like I will just have to keep my fingers crossed for the one for sale.

• Like 1

I have checked the part number on the Citizen website and it shows your part number as being the hour wheel. From the same list the number for the 5th wheel is 084-190.

Does the part in your packet have a hole right through the middle? If so unfortunately. It's not the right one. 

Thanks for trying anyway.  At least I have the Citizen part number now. Strange but the document from Cousins has completely different part numbers.

I will have a dig about on the net with the Citizen part number and see what turns up.

Cheers

Dave

I love it when a story has a happy ending, especially when you need to piece together lots of bits of data from different sources!

Cousins database often doesn't know the full application list of parts in their inventory.  I have seen this many times, but if you can get to the raw part number then you can often find parts they don't list against any calibre.  I think they will add parts to the list if someone asks for it by calibre number and part type if they can then track it and it's in their stock.

If you want to buy screws for Omega movements you just search for the screw part number - they never seem to list them in the calibre parts database.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, alex771 said:

есть еще запчасти для данного механизма?

If you read above that will pretty much answer your question of parts availability.

Please note this is an English language forum and is not very polite to have others to use a translator to understand you.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

If you read above that will pretty much answer your question of parts availability.

Please note this is an English language forum and is not very polite to have others to use a translator to understand you.

"polite"    we don't need that here.   vin

• Confused 1