Unusual Rolex

Whilst looking on the net I came across an unusual vintage Rolex, the top half of the dial has Roman numerals while the lower half has Arabic !  with a seconds subdial at 9 o'clock,

wonder if anyone knows of this watch ?

I have a picture but not sure if it contravenes copyright if I post it ?

Don't know. How ever my favourite is explorer. Its features are amazing. The Explorer’s Oyster case, guaranteed waterproof to a depth of 100 metres (330 feet), is a paragon of robustness. Its characteristically shaped middle case is crafted from a solid block of particularly corrosion-resistant 904L steel. The fluted case back is hermetically screwed down with a special tool that allows only Rolex watchmakers to access the movement. Fitted with the Twinlock double waterproofness system, the winding crown screws down securely against the case. The crystal is made of virtually scratchproof sapphire. The waterproof Oyster case provides optimum protection for the Explorer’s high-precision movement. I have some good work experience with a OOH ERP and my words are clearly based on what I felt through such processes in the past.

This style of dial is know as a "California" dial and a number of manufacturers have used it at times.

There are various stories regarding both the origin of this style and the name, 5 minutes googlefoo turns up lots of info and pics.

The sub dial at 9 suggests that it has a pocket watch movement in a wrist watch case, I believe that Rolex did make an Oyster pocket watch which may have played a part in the evolution of their first dive watch.

• Like 1

It's a pocket watch conversion so the dial is a redial and not original it may or may not have a Rolex calibre based on a cortebert ebauche. As a watch its as bogus as a bogus thing from the planet Bogus. Straight out of Poland or Bulgaria these things are usually advertised as of military origin. I think the only Rolex produced military watches with this kind of dial would be a Panerai produced for the italian navy.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like a real Rolex but I like the "vintage" style of the lume (nice aging color, hands and dial) and the general appearance trying to convey some Rolex-ish presence. Other than that, I don't think anyone will take it seriously as a Rolex, not being their style. Again, I might be wrong and if so, it might command a respectable amount of money for being one of a kind...I guess!

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to find inside a Chinese 6497 clone! :)

Cheers,

Bob