Hello from NSW Australia

3ulerwatch

Hello. This is my first forum post ever!

I just finished dismantling a FHF Standard (ST) 96-4 movement from an old pocket watch by a brand called Felicia. I was just wondering how one goes about cleaning all the parts of the watch. I've seen cheap ultrasonic cleaners on eBay (for about $5) and was wondering if these are any good. Its my first teardown and the reason I've done it has been mainly to learn more about each of the parts. Are there any good diagrams that have fully labelled parts of watch movements? (Like exploded views). Thank you in advance!

Hi!

You can find some info about your movement here, 

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&1ranfft&b&2uswk&Standard_96

And I've attached a tech sheet that I found here,

http://tech.gleaveandco.com/

You won't likely find an exploded diagram fro a movement of that vintage, at least I never have.

Use the search function on the site, and you'll find a ton of threads on cleaning, from doing it by hand to using fancy mechanical and ultrasonic machines. Too much info to summarize here!

Oh, and Have Fun!

FHF_969.4.pdf

Hi guys,

I thought I had fully disassembled my FHF ST 96-4 movement however I haven't been able to dismantle one piece. It is a centre axle that has gears on both sides of the main plate and thus cannot simply slide out or be pulled apart as the other parts have done. I have searched the internet for answers to no avail. Does anyone know what it is called and how to dismantle it as it is an area where there is rust and thus in need of a good clean but i cant do it without taking it apart. I have attached photos so you can see what I mean. 

Thanks

IMG_1582.JPGIMG_1583.JPG

That's called a cannon pinion its attached to the center wheel and is friction tight. It should pull off, but in your case it could be rusted on in which case you need to lubricate it, I would put the whole thing in a pot and cover it in oil and leave it over night. There are tools for removing these little blighters, I always used this type of tweezers never had one fail. I should hold on as others will want to chip in with their ideas. I've been retired for years so I'm a bit old fashioned and not up on modern tools and oils. 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

Hi again,

Just as a general question can Moebius 9010 oil be used as a lubricant for all watch parts or is this generally frowned upon?

I am a very beginner and so for now I have quite a tight budget in terms of acquiring the basic tools/products I need to properly service my movement (the one I mentioned above). 

Thanks in advance

Hello 3ulerwatch and welcome,

Regarding your query about an ultrasonic cleaners the cheap ones are sometimes not Ultrasonic. The nominal definition of ultrasonic (above audible sound) is nominally 20000 Hz but a reasonable home ultrasonic machine for likes of a tinkerer such as I would need to be in the area in excess of 40000 kHz. My "cheap" machine cost about £17.00 from the local Lidl and runs at 46000 kHz which is just about adequate for me, there are more costly machines that go at a much higher rate.

The really cheap machines just rattle the stuff around and are not producing the sort of waves that give a more intense clean so make sure the machine vibrates at the correct rate.

I fill the bath with water and put my parts for cleaning in small jam jars, lighter fluid for the clean and pure isopropanol for a wash but keep the pallet with its little jewels out and do it carefully by hand, there have been reports of Jewel detachment in ultrasonic machines and that would be bad.

Get yourself a good book, my first was Practical Watch Repairing by Donald de Carle - you will not regret it.

Cheers,

Vic