Greetings from Austin, TX

Salutations!

I'm just getting started with this hobby.  I own about 7 vintage Seiko watches (6106-7729 and 6106-8749) that I would like to learn how to service or repair.  Any tips on the tools I will need and tutorials to start out with will be greatly appreciated.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all more.

Welcome to the forum. As far as books are concerned a good start would be any watch repair books by "Donald De Carle". Also this forum has most of the information you require.
Once you have the correct lubricants & basic tools & watched vids & read a few books  I would attempt a service on an old watch that has no value.

But be warned this hobby becomes compulsive.

• Like 1

Hello from me. You can't go wrong with books by George Daniels. Looking around on here you will plenty of advice about tools. Just make sure you buy the best you can afford they might seam expensive at first but if you look after them they will last a life time.  

• Like 1

Hi H,

Welcome to the forum. My take on what you are asking is a little convoluted. This is what I would think will be better. Don't start with the vintage watches you own. Rather, get a cheap, working Seiko 7S26. I believe that with as little as US$60 you can get a brand new one. For much less a used one. You need the watch to be in working condition.

Then visit this link: http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/ It is a free class. Also, visit Mark's video for that movement. Become an expert while you, little by little, put your tools together and prepare for the meaningful surgery: your vintage watches. Remember that the original guinea pig watch should end up working, the same as when you got it. Then, get a used vintage watch of the same model as yours. I may be not working. Get familiar with the differences between the one you learned and that one. Become an expert and double check your tools are appropriate for the job. Then, tackle your vintage watches.

Remember to always get the service data for any watch you work with if available. Also, ask question no matter how simple. We are here for helping one another. Always be patient and take your time. The books recommended are definitely a good thing to have and our site is full of walkthroughs and videos that will help you to reach your goal.

I hope this is of help,

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I got my books today.  I'll need to decide which one to start with.  Any opinions of which out of the 3 is a better starting point?

I bought a Seiko 6309-7290 at a garage sale for $10 US Dollars and was thinking about starting with that one.  It is not working so I think I'll follow your advice and get a working movement of the one you recommended.

Next purchase is tools but I'm still researching.

Thanks for all the suggestions!