GeorgeClarkson

Servicing a Seiko 5 7009-3130 Automatic Wrist watch - VIDEOS

Gents, I would like to share the new series of videos I am making, while I service a Seiko 5 7009-3130 automatic watch I just received.

This is Part 1, I am uploading the other p2 parts of the tear down and will link them here soon. Please enjoy!

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Uploading part 3 and then part 4, with the final result. The watch was already rebuilt after a proper clean and oiling, and also the stem, which was a bit bent near to the crown, has been straightened. The 4th video shows the final result, but there are still some things missing: new glass and new dial, new pin for the bracelet.

Stay tight!

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Lol...neither am I. Learning by doing! I'm on my 3rd watch right now. I'm working on an old BYN right now that is a head scratcher. I too still post everything I work on as well though! That one is under "BYN Teardown and Restore" thread. I'll keep your video handy though. Hope to work on a Seiko 5 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/30/2016 at 3:10 PM, GeorgeClarkson said:

You are welcome, mcass, but please be aware I am no professional watch repairer, so everything I do it could be done much better.

Modest as ever, George. Good to see you're still around. :biggrin:

On 10/30/2016 at 4:04 PM, GeorgeClarkson said:

The 4th video shows the final result,

You didn't used a timegrapher at all to verify and regulate the movement? If not, it can be running, but you won' know "how well", even if i keeps good time.

21 hours ago, jdm said:

You didn't used a timegrapher at all to verify and regulate the movement? If not, it can be running, but you won' know "how well", even if i keeps good time.

Jdm, I do not have a timegrapher at the moment, but it is in my bucketlist ;)

• Similar Content

• By George19
      Hello,
      Now going to tackle my second Seiko repair after fixing a displaced 7S26-C rotor/bearing (posted in another thread). I'm still a newbie at all of this, but learning by watching, reading and doing. I'm really enjoying the work, I wonder why I did not learn this art years ago.
      I was given a Seiko 7009-3040 automatic for free. I took a look at it and saw that is had a bent second hand. Closer inspection showed the little [ S ] emblem has been disconnected from the face and is rolling around between the dial and the face (show here resting next to the 4 o’clock position. It was actually in the day/date window hiding at first. After a bit of tapping it came out.
      I was thinking it might be not too hard to fix?  Separate the  movement from the case of course. Then glue the [ S ] emblem back in place on the dial using a very small amount of super glue. I can see two small holes for mounting. Bend the second hand back to straight.
      So the real questions are
      is super glue OK for this application, I would assume to let the dial stay out of the case for a day or two to protect the rest from 'glue fogging'. looking a the second hand, I'm almost sure it just might break if I try to straiten it? had anyone else seen this happen, the emblem falling off and fouling the hands? Thank you very much in advance.
      Cheers

• By anilv
      Hi guys.. Sharing some pics of my latest purchase. 
      An early Seiko 5. This was for sale on  local facebook page and I got it for MYR177 plus MYR10 for shipping.  That's less than USD50 all in. I'm not a fan of these ridged bezels but I was drawn to the clean face as these are getting harder to find. 

The case back is from Nov '67. Seiko went from the seven digit serial numbers to the six digit ones sometime in '67 so this would be an early one. Oh and a 'proof' case back is always nice! It's a snap back.. Not a front loader. 

Case looks like its been polished but it's not too bad. 

Another view of the dial... On most older Seiko's you would find the lume has blackened and this affects an otherwise perfect dial but since this model didn't come with lume it's pretty much perfect. 

Inside is a 6119 movement... I'm particularly find if this movement and despite the bezel I think this one is a keeper. 
      Anilv 
    • By aqeeliqbal
      Hi watch lovers <3
      i got a Robisi automatic watch. It accidentally fell down on the floor and its glass got detached which i attached again but after some time i realised that the Synthetic ruby gem was missing from it. Therefore it lost its balance and it stops time to time. 
      How do i fix this? 

• By RZ6642
      Hello,
      I have a similar problem like this topic: 
      but my watch is a Maurice Lacroix PT 6158. It is a automatic watch. and recently my problem seems worse.
      I tried to wind the crown towards 12 more than 30, but it doesn't help, and make the thing worse, the watch stop moving immediately, until i shake the watch, and it start moving a little bit. and stop again. (The watch used to be really good, and can hold for 2 days straight)
      Like the other guy, i am using it regularly from 7am - 10pm. Every morning I wind the crown 5-6x to make it works until noon. and sometimes it does not working. the only things i could notice:
      1. the circle movement (I don't know what is it called) that i can see on the back side of the watch move really slow. not as fast as it used to be. (I am using it for more than 4 years now).
      2. if i put the watch down with diagonal position: the crown touch the table, the watch will be able to hold for about 3-6 hours. IF, i put the watch on the table, and the crown does not touch the table (again, diagonal) it will take less than 1 hour until the watch stop. IF i put the watch down (Horizontally), the crystal touch the table. the watch will stop move immediately or in less than 1 minute.
      Can anyone help advise me what I should do? i wonder if it could cost so much to repair it? or just need some oiling things?
      Thank you so much.

• By Claytonc
      This is my first disassembly. The movement is a 7s26 from a Seiko 5 watch. It was running a few minutes at a time before disassembly. The oscillating weight was in two pieces. It appears the three pins(?) have all broken.
      My questions are: Can this be repaired? Is it as simple as pushing the broken pins out and replacement? What tool would I need to perform such a repair. I know I can replace the complete oscillating weight, but what fun would that be?

Thanks for your time and knowledge,