Seiko Magic

digginstony

Back in the summer I acquired a military style Seiko 5 watch.

Fortunately I was able to aquire the latest version.

This is a beauty and fitted with the comparatively new 4R36 movement which supercedes the old 7S36 though the movement is still abundant.

The 4R36 has the hand wind facility and hacking. This watch is accurate and with me gaining 3 seconds a day. See the pics and the timegrapher at dial up.275d04e9ecda178a4b599851e15532ef.jpg1dc6010ebd4453fbe66431025055cb71.jpg11370b50aadd895cdb7e3ac030144817.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Nice acquisition.

I have had quite a few watches with new 7s26 and more recently some with 4r36. My experience is that the 4r36 seem to be more accurate out of the box but they're basically the same as the 7s26 apart from maybe an extra 3 jewels. I don't know if it's because they're being regulated better at the factory or whether the extra jewels have an influence.

Current 4R36 include a SRPA21, SRP777 and a modified SRP275

• Like 1

On 10/27/2016 at 5:27 PM, digginstony said:

Fortunately I was able to aquire the latest version.

This is a beauty and fitted with the comparatively new 4R36 movement which supercedes the old 7S36 though the movement is still abundant.

To be exact, the 4R36 is not a "latest version" and does not replace the 7S26, which remains in production, mainly for marketing reason, as it allows Seiko to segment their mechanical watches offer, that is Seiko 5 "non Sports".

To be exact, the 4R36 is not a "latest version" and does not replace the 7S26, which remains in production, mainly for marketing reason, as it allows Seiko to segment their mechanical watches offer, that is Seiko 5 "non Sports".

Possibly I should of been more precise. It's the latest version of a military style watch for me.
The photos clearly show its a sports model I thought ?

SRP515? What's in a model number anyway?! NICE watch...love my 4R, although if I'm late or early for some event,

I usually don't blame my watch, (it's easier to blame the wife, kids or the dogs!):thumbsu:

Yep it's the Model SRP515. Which is a sports model and not the basic "5" Which I may inadvertently lead people to believe. The later sports models seem to be fitted with the 4r as opposed to the 7s.
Whether this is a trend or not I couldn't say, not being privy to Seiko marketing secrets. Anyway regardless of model, it's a great watch.
My other Seiko "Military Style " is the basic and fitted with 7s26-c movement with its revamped "Regulator " with longer pins as opposed to the 7s26-b which the general accusation seems to be that the hairspring can jump the pins with a mild impact.
This is a great watch as well.