Crystal Lift Tool Bergeon 4266 Or 6400

Hi,

I am looking to get a crystal lift and found that Bergeon has two, Bergeon 4266 and 6400. Does anyone know what is the difference between the two?

Also, does this works only only plexiglass / perspex / acrylic glasses?

Thanks

I've seen people us hammers, fingers & a cusion but I prefer to push them out with a press, less risk of case damage, gives you a better feel & even when cracked they will often press out in 1 piece making measuring for a replacement simple.

Lee

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Found this Bergeon document and to me it sure looks like the claws of the Bergeon 6400 can grip acrylic crystals of various shapes (round, cushion, oval, tonneau, etc.) whereas the Bergeon 4266 is for round crystals only.

I have one on order from CousinsUK. I'll report back once I've gained some knowledge first hand.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:50 AM, VWatchie said:

Found this Bergeon document and to me it sure looks like the claws of the Bergeon 6400 can grip acrylic crystals of various shapes (round, cushion, oval, tonneau, etc.) whereas the Bergeon 4266 is for round crystals only.

I have one on order from CousinsUK. I'll report back once I've gained some knowledge first hand.

FWIW, that's the way I read the Bergeon instructions as well. The 4266 for round, the 6400 for various shapes. The 4266 looks like it has a main body that is shaped like a prefect cylinder, with parallel sides. The 6400 has a mouth that is wider than the top of the cylinder. My Vigor RM-365 is of the 4266 design. So no such luck with the fancier shapes. Good luck.

7 hours ago, MrRoundel said:

My Vigor RM-365 is of the 4266 design. So no such luck with the fancier shapes.

But as mentioned elsewhere, that's not much of a concern, as fancy shapes watches normally have a case back, so crystal is pushed out from there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having received and tested the "Bergeon 6400 for various shapes", I can now confirm that it indeed works with various shapes (maximum width 45 mm). It feels like a really solid tool and it works very well. Expensive yes, but I can confirm that it does its job.

The only thing I'm not perfectly happy with is that the arms that grab the crystal are pretty hard to push all the way out to 45 mm. It feels like the inner diameter of the rubber seal is too narrow. Perhaps a bit of silicon might make it a bit smoother!? Then again, it's not every day we need to lift a crystal that large.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi all 

A quick question I hope

I have one of the cheap eBay crystal Lift Tools which as everyone who has ever tried one knows it quite rubbish at doing its job, so was looking to get a Bergeon one, but found they do two types one a 6400 the other a 4266.  Anyone one know what the difference is as they both do the same size range 10 to 45mm. one is more expensive but other than that I can't see what the difference is. 

Anyone know what the difference is.

Thanks for any help with this

I understand why they do it but the way new topics get merged with older threads does make us new members seem a little dim, especially when the search function does not always offer the help it should, thus the reason for the post in the first place. 

But thanks for pointing me in the correct direction 😉

5 hours ago, Paul80 said:

I understand why they do it but the way new topics get merged with older threads does make us new members seem a little dim

As you noted, topic merging is done solely to avoid proliferation of multiple topics on a same subject. Nothing else is intended and no offense should be taken when one's post is subject to housekeeping. 

5 hours ago, Paul80 said:

especially when the search function does not always offer the help it should

I've tried entering 4266 in the search and this very topic was is the first hit.

With the Bergeon version, what are the Jaws made from. Steel or Brass ?

I know on the really cheap version they are made from Alluminium, which is too soft to grip the crystal but also found some were the Jaws are made from Brass and some were they used Steel, in photos of the Bergeon tool they look brass ?

If they are brass would steel used by some be too hard and risk damaging the crystal.

Thanks.

Paul

I only have a Chinese crystal lift right now.  It works fine, but I did need to use a very fine file and sandpaper and dress the sharp and rough edges on its brass claws.  Once I smoothed the tips to a high polish, it no longer left any marks.  Saving money made extra work for me, but that's how it usually goes.

• Like 1

My Chinese one has gold/brass coloured fingers, but when I started to dress them in an attempt to improve them I quickly found it's just a plating or some sort of coating, and found it to be more like Alluminium.

The one Cousins sell for £15 is supposed to be brass and I have found a Chinese one were the fingers are steel for £25

I have both the Chinese version and the Indian version from Cousins. Both are rubbish. 

The Chinese one has aluminium jaws. When used on a stubborn crystal, it deforms and a notch forms on the sliding surface which acts like a collet.

The Indian one has brass jaws but the hub which holds them is made of aluminium and is very poorly cut. The hub deforms.

I now use a vintage Vigor model which serves me very well. The original elastic ring which is used to open the jaws cracked and broke. I salvaged the coiled spring version from my junked Indian one and transplanted it over and it has been working since. 

11 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

and the Indian version from Cousins

In fact there is no "the Indian version". They have different manufacturers who make different performing tools. There is an Indian one that performs as well as a Bergeon. But normally you have no chance to distinguish them.

Frank

2 hours ago, praezis said:

In fact there is no "the Indian version". They have different manufacturers who make different performing tools. There is an Indian one that performs as well as a Bergeon. But normally you have no chance to distinguish them.

Frank

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/round-glasses-superior

The description in Cousins website says "Made in India".